" i have weeds all over"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by General Grounds, Apr 25, 2005.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: gotta love the people who when there grass goes to seed they call saying they have weeds all over the lawn, same lawn every year same call, you would think they would have gotten it after the first 2 years of service, were now on our 10th year servicing this clown. tony
  2. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

Got several just like that, little elderly ladies... not a broadleaf weed anywhere in sight in their yard, but as soon as a little Poa or Crab grass shoots up, they are being overrun with weeds! :rolleyes:
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know your neck of the wood's, but in my neck of the wood's Poa and Crabgrass are considered weeds (grassy weeds). A spring and fall app. of Dimension keeps them under control.
  4. airtractrdrivr

Yup, I'm fully aware of how to control Poa and Crab, I put Dimension on them and took care of the problems. No, here we consider Crab and Poa to be exactly what it is, an undesirable grass. I guess it could be looked at either way depending on where you are and who's opinion you have! :D
  5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

A weed is ANY plant that is growing where it is not wanted. It could be a maple tree or perenial rye in bluegrass if it is not wanted.
  6. airtractrdrivr

Well, I have a different view, as do alot of others. True, either one can be classified as a "weed" if you want to use the term in it's broadest context. Weed, grassy weed, grass, undesirable grass, WHATEVER you want to call it... I didnt post in this thread to get into an argument over what is and isnt a weed or a grass. If you have to nitpick every little detail of every post, I will refrain from joining the conversation. I've been in this business as a certified applicator for a little over 10 years now, and am licensed in seven categories here in Oklahoma, and hold certification in three other states as well, so I can assure you I know what a weed is by now.
  7. airtractrdrivr

Adding to my last post, I agree with your definition of a "weed". I just have a habit of differentiating between a common broadleaf type "weed", and a grassy weed by calling one a weed, and the other a grass.