I Heard a noise from my trailer.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by howardsells2000, Jul 16, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I was driving very slowly and happen to hear a noise from my trailer. I almost didn't even bother to check but I'm glad I did. I walked around it and noticed one of my wheels on my single axle trailer had almost completely come off. Three of the five lugs were broken off and the forth lug nut was almost off. If I wouldn't have checked on that noise it could have been a disaster for me.

My trailer is a 2006 Holmes 5X12. I bought it in March of this year brand new. What would cause the studs on the lugs to break off? Could someone have done this to me? I've been driving for 27 years and I have never had a stud break off. The only thing I can think of is that it may have had something to do with a hauling job I did last weekend. I did overload the trailer with dirt that day. I don't think that would have caused it but maybe.

Then of course it's Sunday afternoon. I still had some mowing to do. So I tightened the forth lug nut and went home. The lawns were near my home so I was able to finish them on my way. Then I went to AutoZone and bought three studs, went home and tried to pound the broken ones out of my hub. I couldn't budge them. So I take the hub and three new studs to Tire Discounters and ask them to replace the studs for me. Well about fifteen minutes later the guy comes back with my trailer hub in two pieces. He pressed two of the studs in and on the third one, breaks my hub. I need my trailer Monday morning to work. I put the damaged hub back on the trailer. At least it has four studs and four nuts holding the wheel on. But now while working tomorrow, I have to try and find a replacement hub. Oh well just felt like venting.

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

what caused them to break in the first place was that they had probably worked loose and the wheel just chewed through them. you said trailer was new did you ever retorque the lugnuts, should be done after first 50 miles and then about once a month afterwards. hub shouldn't be to hard to find but I'd go back to the place that broke the hub they broke it they shopuld have to replace it. Ive pressed studs in on hubs from 8" light duty like yours all they up to 16" heavy duty semi truck and never broke a hub only time ive even seen that happen is when they wernt centered and pressed at an angle.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If you know the hub is defective and likely to not last the day why in the world would you go ahead and risk having it break when all your equipment is on there? If you think you're mad now think of how you'll feel when that sucker diggs its set into the pavement and someone ends up rear-ending you. You'r ewilling to jepordize your safety as well as the general publics?:nono:

4. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

if you just bought the trailer this spring i would have taken it back and made them replace the broken parts. most trailers come with at least a one year warentee

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would take it back to where you bought it from and just tell them what is happening and see what they say.

4 out of 5 lugs is nothing, but a damaged hub is another story... I wouldn't load anything on it until the trailer is fixed, take it there first thing Monday morning, you should be on your way an hour or so later, by 10 am you'll likely be servicing your first yard if all goes well (which it should).

Good luck.