I heard nitrogen is good to use during the summer whats a good brand?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by kebrowns, Jul 22, 2012.

1. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

I have not too long ago got my pesticide license but don't have the time to experiment. I have tried weed and food with very little help. I heard nitrogen in granule form is good in the summer time but what brand is good.

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Applying N in the summer months will produce unnecessary additional growth. A balanced feeding in the Spring/Fall would better serve your needs. I have used a 16-4-8
    plus minors @ 25% slow release for my needs here in SW Florida. N on its own will not be your cure all. I suspect you may have issues purchasing N in any sort of quanties do
    to national security issues, at least you would have that problem in Florida.
    easy-lift guy

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Read a few hundred posts here. You will begin to understand what bad advice you have been given. A lot depends on what grass species you are working with, irrigation, temperatures, and local disease potential. Straight nitrogen might burn the grass
    And you mentioned weed and feed--not many professionals would use that. Liquid herbicide is a better bet--but probably you are new and do not have proper (or any) equipment. Get a backpack sprayer at a minimum--until you can afford a skid sprayer.
    Nitrogen is better in cooler weather and some types of grass become disease prone if given nitrogen in hot weather. Nitrogen for turf should have at least 30 percent of the nitrogen as slow release, 50 percent is better. 70 percent better yet
    Tall fescue and Bermuda need differerent treatments--but you need local advice for this. I am too far away.

4. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

Find time to experiment. No one with knowledge on here just made a post and got their questions answered. Research

5. GaryCinChicago

GaryCinChicago LawnSite Member

FYI guys, the OP is in Dixie and probably dealing with Bermuda.

Lesco 39-0-0

Google for "the bermuda bible" ... in quotes like that. Follow that regime and enjoy the results.

6. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Thats what I do! Although, it is getting harder to find the 39-0-0. Don't know why????

7. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Product I am using this summer is a 33-0-5 product with 100% slow release. Putting on less than a lb/K only mainly on irrigated lawns. Use N very judiciously this time of year.