I heard

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, May 19, 2012.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Toro bought out Irritrol completely . when did this happen?

I received in my inventory already Toro's redesign on the 2400. It's the same exact insides except it's black and the collar is different

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

A while ago, years. They also bought Rainmaster. :cry: The good news from my friends at Irritrol/RM, is Toro is leaving them alone, so far.

3. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

They purchased James Hardie Irrigation back in like late 1996, early 1997.

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

hmmm I must have missed that tps report

5. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

LOL.... yeah... they learned some hard lessons while trying to merge those two companies. They were a lot more careful when they purchased Rain Master.

6. Except they still suck in the pigtail dept.

7. Mike Leary

That was a cool company, and I used their product almost exclusively. Robert Hardie sold the biz, I don't think, to Toro right away. He sure got himself into trouble with the crappy siding "Hardie Board" that he sold to tract builders.:hammerhead:

8. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

They sold it straight to Toro.... If I recall they spent about a year merging them together..... They were a cool company. I remember when the Total Control was released. That was an awesome controller at the time.... way ahead of everybody else!

9. Mike Leary

So, Toro already owned Irritrol?

10. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

no.... Hardie owned Irritrol. They were like the 3rd owner of Irritrol. Back in the 80's Irritrol was it's own company that was then bought by Garden America, which owned Lawn Genie and Richdel. Then Garden America was sold to Black and Decker. Somewhere later on Hardie bought the whole thing from Black and Decker.