I hit rock bottom today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by liquidforcedude7, May 29, 2005.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Today I sent 2 and a half hours at one yard by myself and only made 30$. It took over 30 minutes of trimming against a lattuse (sp) fence. The grass was soo wierd It wasnt that lond but It just wouldnt cut. I know my blades are sharp. Between the trimming and the multiple cuts and the ditch on the front it took me that long. :angry: I gave out flyers and put free estimates on them and I put 30 dollars on this one and the guy says he has it in wrintin (my fleyer) that id cut his yard for 30 dollars. ( I did the estimate not knowing that his backyard was 4 tiimes bigger then his front) When I asked for 40 he said no way. He wants me to come back and mow but to call him before I do. Should I just tell him I need to hike up the price or Im not gona do it?

2. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

If you do not want to go back, and he does not want to pay more, then the answer is simple. Dont go back. That flyer does not mean anything, if nothing else, you should have told him that someone took a bunch of your flyers and handed them out to the wrong homes. Sorry for the mishap and have a nice day. Just my 2 cents.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'd just be honest with the customer as you have been here and ask for more money once more. If that is not acceptable to him, he'll be hunting another lawn service. Simple as that. Don't be anyone's door mat.

The whole thing you wrote about having to call for permission to mow makes it sound like he's a customer you don't want anyway.

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Don’t work for free if your stuck with the price then stop cutting him worst thing you can do is continue all year for slave wages. Don't feel so bad after more then 200 lawn cut estimates in the past 3 years that I have gotten I still make a few mistakes on the price. My partner got me a nasty one this spring and I would have probably not known how under bid it was but she was in my face the second I showed up big mistake. I dumped her that day I have 4 of her neighbors its my first year on the street and I laid down the law early I do not work for free. Not one of the neighbors blames me for this they all thought she had gotten to good a deal when she bragged to them before we came.

5. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

Go put a new flier on his door with a new price. If he doesn't call you, don't call him.

Mike

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Make up a fake flyer with an even lower price on it and put it on his door. He will call you and fire you for ripping him off. :)

7. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

It'll probably go much faster next time. You did it for $30, so you satisfied whatever agreement he thinks you made. The flyer didn't say that you'd do it for $30 forever, did it?

I'd do it one more time before I raised the price, unless you are certain that the property is too large for $30. If it takess too long next time too, I'd raise the price.

If it takes 2 hours +, then $40 isn't enough either. Not even close.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what I would do, the 2nd time will go better.

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I'm sure you have a price subject to change in fie print on it somewhere and an experiation date written by the price somewhere, good until xx/05. You may weed out many of the ones going fishing for price right away but you have to place some sort of limits on it.

10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

You didn't see the back yard and you still put 30.00 on it? I think it's safe to say you'll never make that mistake again.
    I would go to the guy and ask if he likes your work. If he says yes, and he knows you spent as much time as you say you did, he can't really expect you to get 30 dollars for 2.5hrs worth of work does he? If he can't come clean...walk. At this point I wouldn't work for the guy for any price.