I improved my Proslide

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

I was due for a new wearplate anyway, so I bought a sheet of 1/4" polyethylene (my brother the engineer analyzed the material, and thats what it is). But, I made it larger. Original wearplate had a botton size of13x24"; I made my new one 16x28". This gives me 448 sq. in. vs. 312 sq. in., or an increase of 44% in contact with the ground.
    I expect this to allow quicker, tighter turns. Also, with less pulling resistance, I might get a tad more speed, and better gas mileage.
    One thing nice about a Proslide is that you can move your feet around if you get a little tired or uncomfortable. BTW, I glued a thick mat to mine last year, really added to the comfort.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hi wayne
    Where did you get The Polyethylene. I'd like to make My plate bigger. I Have Them on turf tracer's they have a wide wheel trac. I Get Two strip's Of grass between the wheel And Plate:mad:
    Thank's johnny g. :cool:
  3. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

If you found that you were sinking into the ground with te original size of your proslide than increasing the surface area would help. If you were not sinking in than adding suface are to the plate will not change the friction (resistance) with the grass. Friction is soley based on the normal force (your weight) and the coefficient of friction of the surface you are sliding on. It won't hurt the situation though either.
  4. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

Wayne, did you curl the new plastic up at the edges to prevent it from digging in on turns? Post a pic?
  5. Wayne Offiler

The material, called "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene sheet" is a common item at industrial plastics supply houses. I got mine from McMaster-Carr in dayton, NJ. Phone: 732 329 3200, fax: 732 329 3772.
    Yes, I did bend the front up at a 45 deg. angle to fit the metal base. Clamped it in a jig, and went back and forth with a mapp gas torch till it got pliable.
  6. Wayne Offiler

Scott: I fully agree with you that, according to the laws of physics, the area in contact does not change the resistance. But, consider this: I figure the coefficent of friction near the top of the grass to be less than deeper in it. Thus, having less pressure per square inch, should cause the Proslide to ride higher on the turf. Also, my thinking is that by riding higher, there will be less of a "plowing" effect along the leading edge of the wearplate. This should decrease resistance.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Thank you Wanye I'l Give It a Try.:D
    Johnny G.:cool: :cool:
  8. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I've also have a Proslide that will need a new wear plate sometime this spring. If you don't mind, how much did it cost you for the sheet? Thanks.
  9. Wayne Offiler

My polyethylene sheet was 1/4"x24"x48" and cost about $35 plus a few dollars shipping. Cheaper than the official Proslide replacement wearplate.