1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I Just Can Not Believe It !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sharp Services, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

Every evening I call my customers that I am going to mow the next day to remind them that I am coming. By doing this most of them will leave my check so I don't have to wait on the mailman to bring it.

Well I called Mrs. Kemp and told her that she was my first stop (she usually has a fresh pot of coffee on and brings me a cup in the a.m.). When I talked to her she advised that she had someone new doing her yard and that she was sorry, but the price was better. Of course I asked what she was paying her new guy and she advised me $25 a visit. I have been charging her $65 for the past year and a half. She also told me that he was coming this morning.

So I wasted some time and drove by. I saw what looked like a homeless guy leaving her house pulling an old Murray 21" mower by a rope behind a 10 speed bike. I almost wrecked my truck looking at it. The yard was a mess.

I called a little while ago and asked how it went. She said everything went great. I still can not believe it. Told my wife if she calls back, I am charging a cleanup fee and her price may go up. Would you do the same?

I can believe I lost the account to a guy with a bike, rope and mower.

Thanks for letting me vent. I will miss the coffee, because it usually has coffee cake with it.

2. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

She'll be calling in the near future, no way he'll last.
  3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Ask her who insures this guys company and does he have a business license. Whats she going to do when a rock flies through her window?
  4. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Please post again when she calls back, I want to hear what she sayes!
  5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: :laugh: she will call you back next week when he dont show up.he just needed some money for a bump or a beer. :drinkup:
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Sounds like you've got a client that has a real financial issue so I wouldn't be looking for her to come back.

Or,maybe the guy you saw really wasn't her new lawnguy?
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Sharp Service, welcome to my world! This is an every week occurence for me. When I lose one like this I have never gotten one of them back. I think they are to ashamed to call me back. Like others said, she may have serious money problems or is just a cheapskape. Let us know if she does call back and dont blame you for the cleanup fee. Doesnt it make you feel great when you do good work then this happens and the cleint is happy with the sorry work? Makes me ask myself why do I try to do great work for when all they want is dheap!
  8. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

well if its true you cant blame her for $40.00 less a cut thats a BIG difference. and you got to think if he has a 10 speed with rope he has less overhang. no trailer, trimmer, truck, blower. hell i think that guy has the right idea.. personally, i am going to buy up like 9 goats and place them 3 at 3 different lawns and then come back in 1 hour and go to the next lawns.. that seems to be the only way to make money anymore in this game. :cool2: payup
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You can feel better. You didnt lose it to the guy on the bike, you lost it to price.

Tell her you will do it for 20 bucks and you will be the new man :waving: and he will post how he lost one today :D

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Only one thing to say about a situation like this, that is that sucks man.