I just demoed a 2007 Tank M60 Next to the 2008 Tank Select Cut No Comparison....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJB, Jun 28, 2008.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Alright I went to another city about 70 miles away to look at a 2007 Cub Cadet Tank M60 for $7995 with the mulch kit and 25hp Kawasaki. They didn't have the mulch kit on so I demoed it side discharging on a lawn nearby that was wet and thick Kentucky Bluegrass mix. The grass was laying over limp for the top 2 inches.

I cut half of the lawn and could not believe the how poorly the cut was very choppy so I parked it and asked the store owner if the pitch was right and everything was right he said but he to noticed that it looked bad after doublecutting even. So I asked him for a demo on the 2008 select cut. On the same setting 1 pass it lifted the grass up and cut it cleaner in 1 pass than 2 passes with the 07. I was very impressed for the first time with a Cub Cadet Tank ,,,and the new Tank is not near as ugly as the 07 imo. So for those wondering the Select Cut is awesome at cut quality and striping.

2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

How does it compare to your hustler and exmark?

3. MJB

from Wa

The Hustler cut is the worse of all brands I've tested. The Sect cut is maybe the best I've seen side discharging. It literally lifted the grass up and cut clean what the 07 wouldn't. Also the select cut apron was set to the lowest position for maximum suction. My question is now will it hold up. The 08 doesn't have a hydro filter so I have to wonder about that ....
    In the picture below you can see the cut on the left side is choppy then about the 4th stripe on the right is the 2008 Tank.

cub tank 009.jpg

cub tank 006.jpg

4. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Does the >07 model have a hydro filter? I wonder how necessary they are. As long as you are careful when changing hydro fluid, no dirt should get in there.

5. MJB

from Wa

I've never owned a mower without hydro filters. But it looks like there is some type of internal filter but I have not had time to check this out. Maybe the website well clear this up. Anyone reading this thread that knows please speak up.

6. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Is there another website for the commercial zero turn mower? cubcadet.com does not show any

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

For the record, I had serious issues with a Cub Cadet Enforcer, 2 for that matter. I'll never buy another MTD product again. Yes, the commercials are made by MTD which translates to junk. I think it stands for "Mowers That Die".... LOL or "Must Tighten Down" everything. hahahaha

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

My understanding was that the changes to the deck for '08 were to give the option to reduce suction. The old style deck should have as much lift as the new if properly set up. My info is from a dealer though---so unfortunately it could have been completely made up.

10. MJB

from Wa

They explain it on their website and show a little video. I will say after running Exmark Hustler Grasshopper an Walker, plus demoing Kubota, Gravely,
    Bushhog, I think this deck cuts the best side discharging now I neeed to mulch with it next time I go back to see how it compares.

Everyone hates MTD including myself. But if MTD can make a deck that outperforms most others then whats the other manufactures excuse.