I just don't get it!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MNBOY, Mar 16, 2007.

1. MNBOY

MNBOY LawnSite Member

Check out what I found on Craigslist....

"SIGN UP NOW FOR YARD MOWING FOR THIS YEAR, WHY PAY THE BIG COMPANYS LOTS OF MONEY. HIRE US TO DO IT. WE WILL MOW MOST YARDS FOR ONLY 20.00 A WEEK THE ONLY EXCEPTION IS IF YOUR YARD IS LIKE AN ACRE OR SOMEHTING LIKE THAT. WE ARE JUST A COUPLE OF BROTHERS TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE SAVE MONEY. IF YOU SIGN UP NOW AND CHOOSE TO PREPAY FOR THE SEASON WE WILL GIVE YOU 2 MONTHS OF MOWING FOR FREE. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PREPAY THOUGH WE CAN ALWAYS BILL AS WE GO. WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU."

There is only 6 months of mowing in Minnesota. 1)how do you make money mowing anything for $20 up here. 2)how in the world do you give away 2 months of mowing??? This is what we Minnesota folks have to deal with...:dizzy:

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Offer your customers something more that they don't get from the other guy, something that sets your business apart from the competition. Take pride in their yard (your customer) and do a great job every time and go the extra step to make your customers happy. Sure alot of people shop on price alone but there are alot more who want a great job and proffessional appearance and are willing to pay for it.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't worry.

A) They won't be in business long, cause they won't make any money.

B) Just by looking at the way that is worded, these are a couple of hacks who aren't insured, not licensed, and don't pay taxes. They won't make it.

4. MNBOY

MNBOY LawnSite Member

Oh, I agree. Last year was my first year full time. I am not the cheapest guy out there and lost a lot of bids but kept plenty busy with people that wanted good quality work and a full service lawn care company. I love what I do and I love this industry. I really don't mind good competition and always wave to the competition. I just don't understand the $20 thing with 2 months free mowing. That's just plain old crazy.

5. fiveoboy01

Know what another possibility could be here?

Get the customer to prepay, they get thier 2 months' mowing for free...

"LCO" shows up for the first 2 weeks, then never again, attempting to take the money and run.

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont worry bout em man...they will be gone very very fast! And once people get screwed by these clowns...they will be willing to pay real prices for real service. Ive picked up many accounts from people who were paying 20 bucks, that were abandoned in July...and these people were more than happy to pay my prices. 2 months free is about THE dumbest, most foolish thing Ive ever heard. Oh and I love the way they say they are just a couple brothers "trying to help people save money" AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Its like they woke up one morning and said "Man...I wanna help people save money, and go flat broke and burn out at the same time"
    What you should do is hire em...pay em 5 bucks an hour--for both--seems like they'd love that.

7. qualitycut

qualitycut LawnSite Member

I was on st paul craig list today and saw this

We offer quality lawn care for both commercial and residential properties in and around the Twin Cities Metro area, including northern and southern suburbs.

Services offered include weekly mowing, trimming, blowing, spring cleanup, fertilizing/weed control, and general labor.

10 years experienced company offering high quality lawn care at an affordable price.

Weekly Residential/Commercial lawn care as low as $12 PER WEEK ( WHAT IS GOING ON)

Inquire today for details on a free spring cleanup with any new business for 2007! Spring cleanup would include thatching or aerating of the lawn and cleanup of any leaves or debris that has accumulated over the winter.
    Call or email Today!!

8. fiveoboy01

That looks like a bait and switch thing. As low as 12.00/week, then they get the customer to have them come and have a look, and "well this isn't one of our 12.00 lawns, this one will be 35/week."