"i just don't understand, i just don't understand....."

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 22, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

oh, this is rediculous. for you guys who use contracts, do u ever notice, the idiots never even read them? they just sign it, and that's that. well, i make it a point to go over each section with them, and briefly explain. they are usually not even paying attention, but, i do it anyhow. and it never fails....today alone i got 2 phone calls. the first one, "what is with this bill? i gave you $150 in march, $150 in april, and now i got a bill for an additional $150 due may 1st. that's $450 you're expecting from me, AND U ONLY BEEN HERE ONCE!." in fact, both phone calls were similar. the scarey part- this guy, owns a large business with many employees. the other client, a lady, is vice president of a large company in new york city. people in these positions, should be able to understand a simple service agreement, that was written by a 10th grade highschool drop out, shouldn't they? it aint rocket science for crying out loud. does it seem they never even read the contract before signing?

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

nope, they sure dont. I just signed three bigger commercial ones this past week, and as u said, i was explaining everything in detail, and they were out in space. they couldnt sign them fast enough though. they gave me my copies, and checks, and i split.

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I've got one like that now. Gives me a check and says "This is for April mowing, right?" I say "No, this is for one-twelfth of all the services you'll receive this year." Just gotta make sure I keep repeating myself, maybe it'll sink in.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Why not add a surcharge in the contract for answering any further questions or explanations about the contract at a latter date :drinkup:

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Again Bobby... I have never had that happen to me even once either.

The only people I run into that start questioning and arguing about billing are those on 12-pay who "convieniently forget" they have winter payments due when I stop coming out every week. They didn't forget... they got all they needed from me during the season, and once it was over, they were just trying to screw me out of the balance.

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Bobby, I thought your contracts states service will begin April 1st through October 31st? Maybe they feel like your cheating them in April. Just a thought, maybe it's just states April through October.

I only have a handful of clients on 12 month pay because it doesn't fly here. I give them a choice of 12 month budget billing, or just sending an invoice for services performed that month. I don't force either one because I don't want the problems you are having. It's much easier to give them the option.

Now I know your going to tell me that I'm letting them have their way, but it really doesn't matter to me if I get paid less monthly for 12 months, or larger payments during the working season. It's a wash, and by forcing a 12 month payment plan then you will either have people that don't like it, or understand it. I don't have time for the BS that you obviously have to endure.

In conclusion, you might consider running a more customer friendly operation to relieve some of these problems. Do you really have that much trouble collecting that you have to create other problems by forcing pre-payment?

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

yes...............

8. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

21 posts in 2 days you are on a roll bobby

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

amazing, i just got another "i don't get it" phone call. isn't it amazing, they "get it" just fine, when you extend them free credit. but, when u ask for pre pay, all of a sudden, "i don't get it." even though, they were explained how the contract works, and how the payment arrangement works, and they signed it.

10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

they are hiring a landscaper not buying a house or car... Have you ever read the 100 page "terms and agreements" when you installed any program on your computer or any forum you sign up to such as this one? chances are not at all and thats why they dont read yours