1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I just don't understand it...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 23, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

When I'm cutting in a neighborhood for a few years... doing great work for all to see and some knucklehead down the street hires another LCO.

WTF is that all about????

I know they have seen me at these other houses that I maintain (they probably have waved to me couple of times over the years too!)... Are they stupid, ignorant or what? Maybe they think I'm toooo busy?

This irritates me more than anything else in this business.

Just had to vent a little...
  2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Sure makes a guy wonder,huh?
    I've been bold before and asked a couple times. Not WTF though.;)
    Some thought I might be too expensive for them. Some thought I might not want any more accounts!(Go figure)
    Some did not like the way I maintained the properties that were close by. (I mow higher than some like,the grass burns in a hurry here when it's cut short)In that instance I'm glad they didn't ask!

Shake it off and vent,it's good for ya'.;)
  3. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Last I heard it was still a free country. Just because they choose to hire someone other than you doesn't make them ignorant or stupid.
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

YEAH YEAH YEAH... That's why I put in the "or what".

Thanks for your POV
  5. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand your anger in matters like that. However, I do think it's a bit conceded to think that you should be hired over the other guy. Perhaps you do great, meticolous work, still they evidently had a reason. The professional thing to do is to be confident in your work, because if you do great work, I wouldn't worry about the guys down the street... There's thousands of accounts out there, why get angy over these, all they did was wave. That's not a binding promise.
  6. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

i understand where you are coming from completely. We al know a wave isnt a bnding agreement but most people woudl at least be liek "well that one guy down the street does good work lets give hima call since he is already in teh 'hood" even if you didnt get the job you woudl stil think they woudl at least mention somethign about it to you right?
  7. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Whenever I get a new customer in a neigborhood I always try to make a point to talk to owners of the adjacent properties. I ask what day they normally cut on so that I may be able to service on the same day. I also tell them if they ever need a one time service ( vaction or etc...) that I will be happy to help them out. I've got a couple of accounts just from letting them know that I'm available to do their yard or anyone else in the area. Most of the time they tell me they do it their self but if they ever need me they will call. I normally don't do one time jobs, but have found if they are adjacent to an annual account they can be lucractive. Having said this, I hate it when someone else comes around my acounts, when I know I can do a better job than them. Maybe try to service these account on a saturday when the neighbors will be home so you can speak to them personally.

Good Luck,

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The best I can figure, is that it's someone that knows someone, or it's the LCO that does the place where they work. Don't worry, usually sooner or later, they give you a try.;)
  9. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

That situation used to irritate me like crazy! Then there is the ones that you are giving a SWEET deal too because they are one in a group and all reffered by a regular wheeler and dealer customer. I had one get really mad at me because I didn't show up on a saturday to aerate. Called and cancelled. Acted all mad and offended...can't wait untill they call again (and I'm too busy) so they find out what they really should have been paying from the start! (off topic, I know just resent the heck out of these grubbers that think they own you for 25 bucks)
  10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you could distribute a flyer explaining why your service is better than others.