I just finished telling him "no sunday appointments".......

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jan 3, 2008.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

......and I told him Mon - Thurs 9 to 5!

He wanted to send me photograghs of his work site, so I could look and see if we're interested in pricing his work. (turns out, I'm NOT interested)

But here is a quote from his e-mail. As if a contractor is supposed to get on his knees!

"Again, I am available to meet anytime after 6pm on Thursday and Friday, before 10am on Saturday (or around 4:30 on Saturday), and anytime on Sunday.

Thank you.

David"

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

what are you talking about?

3. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Some of us ahem want any excuse we can get to get out of the house lol.
    Whats the problem....

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

what is wrong with a customer telling you when he is available?

While I don't work on Sunday's I still will meet with a prospect seems stupid to shut a whole day down unless you don't need any waork otherwise just tell him you are not taking new clients..

5. DVS Hardscaper

ummm......did you read his weekday and times?! :hammerhead:

After "6 pm"??

And "6 PM onn a Fri"??

And I just told him, "no I do not work on Sundays".

Kinda disrespectful.

And a slap in the face!

Public perception seems to be that we contractors are not entitled to enjoy family values, etc.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get in a different business

7. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

This has come up at a few roundtables before. I have met customers on Sundays, but it was an exception, not the rule. The customer was an existing customer that wanted to show me another project in person and is always on the go. I typically wouldn't have a problem meeting a customer on a Sunday if it was local, but we also have gotten some emails like this. I am available after 7pm! before 7am (when they live in the boonies).
    When i first get in contact with a customer I tell them I'd love the oppotunity to take a look at their property and see what we can do for you... I am available Tues at 4pm or Wed at 10am, beyond that we're looking at the next week. 9 out of 10 people will instantly realize you're not sitting around the office waiting for them to call so you can "serve" them. I sometimes feel the same way when customers react this way. We are not servants, we are professionals for hire.

8. DVS Hardscaper

I'm quite content :)

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com

- I only meet on Sundays if its an existing customer, or if they're going to sign a contract and give me a deposit.

- I will not do an estimate on Sunday for someone that eluded to that they're gettin multiple estimates!

- I never do estimates on Saturdays before 10 am. And the reason is because people will sleep in, I ring the bell, and the dude answers and says "hold on, my wife is getting dressed" and he politely and quickly closes the door, leaving me standing on his front porch for 15 minutes.

My time is valuable. And so is every contractor's.

Also, I do as John stated, I usually say to them "ok, my next available appointment is Monday at 3 o'clock"

9. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

Letting them know when you're available makes the potential customer feel either: (A) a sense of urgency b/c you're a reputable contractor, or (B) if he can't meet me after 6pm or Sunday?... gee, I hope these oter 4 contractors can meet me.
    I learned the hard way and it will never happen to me again. This season we got a lead similar he called on a Friday, I called back within a few hours. He asks to meet me NOW... I told him when I was available on Monday. He then told me "Ohhhh, my fiancee will be here tomorrow! It would be awesome if we could get together this weekend?" So I gave in for a Saturday morning appt. an hour from my house. It was a townhouse community. I look around and see every house with a 12'x14' patio. He immediately asks me if I could give a quote while he waits!!?? I told him no. I come up with a design (not really much of a design obviously) and proposal and call him on Monday to get together. He says he's out of town when we spoke prior about meeting Monday afternoon. He then calls me back in an hour and says he's back!! He ended up having 3 other bids on the table when I got there.
    Another contractor was literally pulling out as I pulled in. I went over our plan and proposal then he said "WOW! you guys are like twice the other estimates!" I immediately told him, "There's value to having a reputable company install your patio when you're making such an investment." He called me the next day and said he was going with another company. I told him good luck. He then called me 3 days later after buyer's remorse with the other company and asked us to drop our price. I stood strong and told him our price stands. We didn't get the job thankfully. NEVER AGAIN!!

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

While it really depends on who you are sitting in front of to say "I don't do Sundays". Most of my prospects are not getting other proposals or they are well qualified that they are looking to engage me in work. if a customer wants 50k worth of work you are not willing to work around their schedule? of course you would like to manage the appt. setting but to say you won't meet them is not good business. I don't do work more than 30 minutes from my shop maybe you need to tighten your work radius.