I just love ground corn!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BartonLawn, Jul 27, 2008.

1. BartonLawn

BartonLawn LawnSite Member

Howdy folks. :)

I'm commenting on the corn because it's done such an awesome job of keeping lawn diseases out of my yard. I don't have access to inexpensive corn meal so I use ground corn instead. It has worked great!

Historically when I was using the traditional chemical based methods of caring for my lawn I'd have various issues crop up in June and July and just had to live with them because fungicides didn't seem to be much help.

This year conditions have been damned near perfect for trouble here in central Missouri. Hot, humid and more rain than usual. But I've not had problem one.

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Great food for the beneficials to thrive, lots of carbohydrates, they good guys in the soil love 'em

3. BartonLawn

Hi Bill, I've been wanting to touch base with you Sir. :)

I'm using my own property as a test bed for organic treatment. So far I've used ground corn, alfalfa pellets, dried molasses, ground soy, green sand, Azomite and corn gluten. I'd like to top dress with compost but after the gardens I don't have enough left for the lawn. The locally available compost isn't acceptable to me, so at this point I'm on my own.

4. ICT Bill

Welcome to the forum, ask away anytime

Sounds like you have been busy, your compost story is a familiar one. No standards for compost and all of them are not composted long enough it seems

Sounds like a kickbutt yard and garden. save me a nice ripe tomato. Gotta have your priorities, tomatos are a good priority, screw the lawn.

Our season is about 2 weeks behind here very cool spring and early summer. The heat is on now though with humidty around 80 to 90%, UUGGHH

Hello fungal pressures

5. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Barton Lawn,

Come down to Springfield. They make excellent yard waste compost. Thoroughly posted, screened and analyzed. $15 a yard. Good big trailer full ought to get your yard topdressed in good shape. I realized it's a five hour round trip, but hey, you can hit Bass Pro Shops while you're here.

6. BartonLawn

Howdy Jeff,

Heh, heh, yeah youse guys also have that big Grizzly Tools location down there. :) No wonder the wife doesn't care for Springfield. :laugh:

7. ICT Bill

Can I come too? please

8. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Beer's in the fridge and lawn chairs are in the shade. Let me know when you get to town and I'll chauffeur you around.