I just love when family gives their opinions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Feb 9, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I was mentioning to my wife that in about a month I would be getting a Quick 32 or 36 with a step saver and clipping catcher. She told me that anyone who uses sulkys or stepsavers are lazy and pathetic and that a customer should fire them for being too lazy to walk behind the machine. She told me not to get it and that she would actually lose respect for me if I got one. I was shocked that my own wife would be so unsupportive about this. She isn't even in this biz and acts like she knows everything and treats me like this. I normally get more respect from a total stranger than I get at home. I guess maybe thats why I like to have a few drinks before I go home each night.

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Oh its not about being lazy, its about spending more money on something she doesn't think is worthwhile. There all that way. My wife in the beginning complained about every single thing I bought but now years later she is convinced that more equipment means more jobs= more money. How do you like your Bluebird aerator? I've been thinking about buying one also, I can get their 24" for $2500.00

3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh:Dude, run whle you can. Actually get on your sulky and ride like the wind.

4. executive property maintenance

executive property maintenance LawnSite Member

wow sounds like the least of your problems is a sulky :hammerhead:

5. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

if she thinks you are lazy for wanting a sulky. you better hold off on the hustler ztr. the summer i went from a wb w/sulky to a ztr, i actually put on about 10 lbs.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds as if you are serious that she thinks this way. If this isn't a joke, why on Gods green earth would she think that way? Has she ever been in the field working like you do or does she know what it takes to do this day after day. Yes it would be great if you walked but you could make much more money if you are on a sulky. Better yet, ride and make money and feel good at the end of the day. My wife works with me in the busy periods and she uses a Toro 44" wb with (oh no) A Proslide. She wouldn't walk for anything if she doesn't have to and that is fine with me.
    I feel for you buddy because if you got to have a few beers to go home to deal with her you better start taking a few cash mowing jobs and hide the cash. When the gettin is good you better get out. I ain't no marriage counselor but there seems to be some problems that need some workin out and I wish you luck with that.
    Buy the machine and the sulky. You do the work, you run the business.

7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Why have a woman who doesnt support the business . Its like someone else said she wants that money your spending on the ride on/ sulkey in her pocket to go shopping. My better half supports everything about the business and never bitches about any equipment i buy because she knows if i dont need it i wont buy it .

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well you just send her my way and what I do is ask her to cut just a leetle strip of grass is all I ask her to do with my Toro, in 5th gear, just maybe a few thousand feet she can try and walk that mower see if that 7mph speed don't change her mind right quick.

Now if that don't do it I reckon I might have to take her along for all 8 yards planned for the day, she can walk her tail off mowing but I can almost guarantee she won't make it much past 4 or 5 and reason I say that is I never did. It's not like I keep the velke on 24-7, I'll pull it off when I feel like exercising but the strain of this work out usually leaves me teetering on the edge of consciousness. Yes sir we're talking stars and darkness entering the old field of vision, which, if the time is right I can get OFF on that, just never could keep up on that load all day, and not for lack of trying thou.

Oh yeah you can have her back after that, she'll be all right.

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Why even tell her what your getting? When was the last time she actually had a look at your equipment? (geees, that didnt come out right! lol)

10. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

The funny thing is that once I get about 40 or more accounts she plans on leaving her job to work with me. I don't think this will work though. She has came with me in the past on a big job before and she would be making a big mistake and when I tried to calmly tell she should be doing it another way she would start yelling and I was so afraid that the customer was looking and listening to all of this. I love my wife but sometimes I could grab her by her neck and squeeze until no movement was left. The fact that she always has to throw fits and make a scene over nothing really pisses me off. Plus my parents and friends are always trying to to give their brilliant ideas. My dad thinks I've never charged enough. He thinks no matter what you are doing you should be making $80 an hour. He hasn't even worked in 15 years, how the hell would he know. I make good money, maintain my stuff, and I'm legal. All these people with their wonderful ideas haven't done anything with their own lives, why try to alter mine.