1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I just messed up big time!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rmdane2000, Aug 22, 2004.

1. rmdane2000

rmdane2000 LawnSite Member

Hey all! I just mixed up some bottles and put Ortho Ground Clear all over a yard I was spraying for basic weeds (broadleaf, crabgrass, etc)...

Is there anyway to nutralize the Ground Clear? Water it? Something else?

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

look on the bright side at least you eliminated the weeds. lmao
    sorry could not resist.

3. Shoreline Lawn Care

Shoreline Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from SW FL

1. Read the label and read it quickly. There is sometimes a 2 hour window as with round-up.

2. Call and get prices on new sod.

3. Go to the fridge and grab a cold one.

4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

If it is systemic then water would probably help to neutralize it but some damage may still be sustained depending on how much time it has been sitting on a lawn. Otherwise, you're probably screwed. How 'bout giving the 800 number on the back of the bottle a call?
  5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Did that 2 years ago, We always had one backpack for round-up and one for lawns. I took the one for lawns home on a Sat. sprayed the lawn then mixed round-up and was going to clean it later. Went by my partners house on Sun, and dropped it off, Showed up Mon. morning and it was empty, My partner decided to do a account on Sun to get ahead. Well he sprayed about 1000 sq feet at a really nice account in early summer, Had no choice had to resod.
    Your probally better off, you can water alot, and reseed for free in a few weeks.
  6. rmdane2000

Yeah, ortho isn't open until monday morning...don't have the bottle anymore, I was spraying at a duplex I own, and it sat on a shelf for a few weeks, do you think that might make it lose some potentcy?
  7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

No, your hooped. But at least you own the prop :(
  8. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

If you applied too much of the wrong product, you might want flush the area with 1 to 2 inches of water daily for 3 to 4 days. Maybe more important - spread 3 to 4 pounds of granular, activated charcoal or liquid activated charcoal over the affected area. Activated charcoal helps absorbs whatever you put down, but TIMING is key....better do it ASAP!
  9. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Also, couple of weeks on the shelf makes no difference......
  10. rmdane2000

Darn...I was hoping somebody would say, yeah! Just pour sugar on it! :rolleyes:

Alright, I'm watering it right now...will keep doing that for a couple days