1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I just phoned a late payer and he was in New York

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Vikings, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

He gave me this phone number and owes some money. I phone him and he's in New York City... I said, "NEW YORK CITY?"so I'm wondering if I just ate a long distance charge?

I never dialed any 1-area code or anything, just a normal 7 digit phone number. The first three digits are odd, I thought maybe a cell phone but if I phone someone I know in ontario on his cell, I still have to dial 1 and area code...
  2. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

Maybe it is a cell phone. I know plenty of people that a cell is all they have. Google the #
  3. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

i called a friend of mine a few weeks back. I called him on his cell phone (local to St. Louis, MO) and when he answered he said he was in Germany.

His company pays for all his cell phone calls to be forwarded world wide when they send him on trips.
  4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Or internet based phone service.
    You can get a phone # for anywhere you want.
  5. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Can you get a long distance package through your phone company? I know we pay a flat rate and I can call all over the country all I want. It helps when I have to sit on the line with one of our coorporate accounts.

(My Great-Granny freaks out every time I call her though. She can't wrap her mind around the concept of unlimited long distance!)

Although, would that be considered an international call? I think I can call Canada and have called Quebec for no extra.
  6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I don't want to phone long distance.. customers anyway. When I phone a brother in law in Ontario (I'm in Manitoba) I have to dial 1- (area Code) then his cell number.

I'm thinking now that maybe it was one of those satellite phones, I remember another customer, a long time ago, told me here's my number. You can reach me anywhere in the world with that number.
    He had a big ego, lol.