1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I just picked up a new customer.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PGA, Apr 4, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I did a spring cleanup about 2 weeks ago for this guy. Decent house in a nice nieghborhood.

When I got done he told me he had some other companies coming over to put a bid in for the mowing and it was only fair to give them a chance. I agreed. I gave him my price and left. I called him a couple times last week but never heard back from him so I gave up.

About an hour ago his wife called and apologized for not calling back. They had been in Switzerland skiing. I said no problem.

She then starts asking me questions about the mowing. What day I will be there? What happens with rain? My billing policy.

I politely explain it all and she goes on to tell me this:

If it rains come on FRI. If it rains on FRI also then dont mow it. They dont want me there on the weekends.

If I have to bag it I can dump it in there composte instead of hauling it.

PLEASE knock on the front door at the end of the month with the invoice instead of mailing it so she can pay me immediately.

She will make sure all the dog waste is picked up on Wednesday night so I dont run over it

I procede to tell her that she is now my favorite customer and I look forward to working with her!

Ive never had anyone be that nice to me and offer to do all that. I guess she would be considered the perfect customer.
  2. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

I wish more people where that polite,curitous and responsible( picking up the poe and paying so prompt) sounds like a good customer. good luck
  3. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

you might try pre-paid monthly. that way you have your money up front in case they leave on vacation. it works very well for me:cool2:
  4. PGA

Im not worried about it. Usually I just mail the invoice and then give them 30 days to pay it. Im used to not getting it immediatly.
  5. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

80 percent of my clients are like your perfect customer! The other 20 percent now thats a different story!
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so, she told you, if it rains, don;'t mow on saturday or sunday. tell me, if it rains thurs + fri, when will you mow again?
  7. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

wasnt the rain thing explained in your contract? or do you just use the "handshake"?
  8. PGA

The next week but for double the cost.
  9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Lemme guess 4'-0", flat head & big ears too :clapping:
  10. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

All of my customers are like that except for the billing. I mail all my invoices to them with the exception of one which is sometimes mailed and sometimes delivered. My wife also cleans for them and they leave a blank, signed check for her if they are not going to be there. They also go out and pick up after their 3 dogs when I get there at 9:00 every Wed. morning and pay me while i wait for them to pick it up. If my people are out of the country and I don't get paid right away, I don't worry about it.