I just purchased my truck loader, but my customer still hires someone else for the cl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Oct 24, 2005.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Its a big condominium complex with an incredible amount of leaves.When I first started mowing the place I didn't have the equipment or the help to remove that amount of leaves. The grounds manager hired my competition to removed the leaves. Last week I ordered a 20 hp truck loader that also shreds leaves.. I also now have a dump insert with a box on top for my dully pick up. Got the Red Max 8000 and just about all the things I need for any amount of leaves.

I mentioned to the manager in a nice way that I know you've had PDC Landscaping do the leaves for the past couple of years. But I now have all the equipment to do the leave job. He said oh ok, well ill keep you in mind for my other places. In other words hes still going to have my competition come in and make a lot of money that I should be making to pick up the leaves. I would think since I mow the place I should be doing the leaves as well. Especial now that I can.

I guess I should have asked strate out. Can I do the leave clean up at the condominium this year? I'm actually thinking about dropping the place all together just out of spite. Oh and someone else dose the hedges in there too. The only reason I don't have such a problem with that, is the guy that does the hedges used to cut the grass. He gave the account to me.

Sorry, just venting.

2. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

No buisness decisions out of "spite" That has always cost me more than the people I am mad at.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Try to understand the manager's position. He has a leaf guy who has been doing a good job. Why use you, an unknown in the leaf department. It is a business decision, not to mention he may have a contract with the other guy.

Approach the mananger in spring and see what you can work out for next fall.

4. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Quote "I would think since I mow the place I should be doing the leaves as well."

And the leaf guy is thinking ...

"I would think since I do the leaves I should be doing the mowing as well."

The leaf guy has been doing a good job for a while now, so why would it be fair to turf him? Equally so, it wouldn't be fair to turf you for mowing.

Don't drop this guy out of spite - there is no justification for it. Be happy for the money you are making now, and try to bid for the leaf work next year.

deej

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Although this pisses you off, I would not drop them in spite. If it is a profitable account, keep them. You are only upset because you ASSUMED that you would get the leaf job. You should have spoken with the manager before purchasing all that equipment. Can you still pick up some residentual leaf removal jobs?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not only that, but the guy DID say that he'd keep you in mind for his other props. (Not that that really carries a whole lot of weight).

7. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Do it cheaper! Buy his business this year, do a good job, and retain the contract.

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

untill u have it in ink u dont have the work so why buy the machines

9. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Which came first the chicken or the ege? None of this really matters. You now have what you need to make a lot of money. There's more leaves where his came from. Make your money where you can and let the leaves fall where they may. Move on and let the future take care of it's self.

10. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are right. There are a lot more leave jobs else where. This manager doesn't do anything by contract. Its just an agreement between he and us. Hes always good on payment and such.

Its just that iv shot work his way. Hes a landscape Gardner. I had a big commercial job in town and I had him design all the flower beds and hanging baskets for me. I could have had someone else do it.

It just seems like he likes a lot of different people working for him. Hedge guy, leaf guy, lawn guy, gravel guy, mulch guy etc...

Did I mention that he um, well........hes not married and probably never will. I wonder if that has anything to do with hes business decisions.