I just sharpened my first lawn mower blade..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, May 2, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

and its not a pretty site. I found it very difficult to use the bench grinder that I boought, the blade is very curvy. Would I be better off clamping it to a table and using an angle grinder?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i use a hand file when i have the time, maybe use that to clean it up.

3. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

I use an angle grinder, it is not as easy as a blade sharpener but its much cheaper. Doesnt really take any longer and i feel that it gives a good edge. Just harder to get the same constant angle on the blade.

4. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a elctric drill with a stone on it and sharpen it that way, and if i really want it sharpened iget my dad to use the bench grinder.

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i either use my dremel with the blade sharpening attachment. I will most likely take it to my dealer every 5 or so sharpenings to have it done by a pro.

6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if the blade was perfectly straight I think it would be easier on a bench grinder. I think since I'm so small a lawn care biz I might to the hand file for a while till I get some better info.

7. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Im not savvy on sharpening them on a bench grinder yet either. I have been a machinist in the past and understand it, and can cut a decent edge but id be embarrassed to take my blades to a shop....they would probably laugh at the job Ive done.

They cut good and dont frey the grass and are balanced.

But they dont look great.

8. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

If you sharpen them regularly, use a file. You don't need to remove a ton of material to sharpen them. Using power tools will remove too much metal and cause them to get out of balance if you don't know what you are doing.

Also, you need to follow the angle that is on the blade, using power tools may eliminate the angle quickly (if you don't know what you are doing).

Practice makes perfect:dancing:

Jeff

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto what Jnamo said ... hand file for me too. But, I don't have very many blades to sharpen each week. If I had many, many, then I would think differently.

10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i use a angle grinder .i found it awkward at first but with each time im knocking time down it takes to do it each time