I just started my business 3 months ago and I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MR Services, Jan 24, 2005.

1. MR Services

MR Services LawnSite Member

I just started my business 3 months ago because the guy I used to work for only payed me $98 for 60 hours of work. I really need some advice on how to price bids. I am affraid to overbid the job, so I underbid it by way to much. I also need some help with how to pick up more business. Also, what is the best weed killer to use to keep weeds out of the flower beds and what is the best fertilizer to use to keep the grass green? Thank you for your help.

Mike

2. Are you really sure you want to be in business.

3. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, I assume you are talking about bidding mowing. The way I do it is to try and determine how long the job will take. Then figure out how much you need to make per hour. If that is $45.00 per hour and you figure it is going to take two hours you charge them $90.00. I would suggest you always walk the entire yard with the customer so there are no surprises. Keep your eyes open for things like steep hills, hard to access areas, areas that will require heavy weed eating, quantity of weed eating etc.. All these things drive up the time it takes to get the job done. I always make it a point to bid a little high. You can always lower the price later but you can't raise it. The last thing you want to do is bid low just to get the work. You will regret this everytime you have to mow the lawn. I used to give a ball park price when I wasn't sure. I would tell them it will be between say 40 to 50 dollars and that I would let them know what it is after I do it the first time. They didn't seem to mind doing that.

I hope this helps, Ed

4. CURB APPEAL NC

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

I made a custom estimate sheet that has a formula for just about everything. mowing per 1k sq.ft. edging per linear ft. price per bag to bag price per load to haul away even price per 1k. sq ft.to aerate. I like this because the customer can see exactly what im charging for and know that they are getting the right price, not just something off the top of my head because the look like they have money. plus the amounts are a little high to start so the bottom line looks like im cutting a deal for them! I havent tried it yet as i am just starting too. If anyone can tell why this may be a bad Idea I would appreciate comments from you Pro's. I can email you my sheet if you would like!

5. derek1

derek1 LawnSite Member

Hey Curb do you mind if I pm you to get a copy of that form you have?

6. gglawns

gglawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

This may sound odd, buy you might be getting too detailed. Some customers will try to nickel and dime you to death if they have all that information. Many times it is better just to give a price with a very general breakdown (or no breakdown at all).

8. CURB APPEAL NC

Sure just remember its a work in progress(Still Playing with all the #'s but you get the idea) and is tailored only to the services I offer! Its A MS WORKS Document, you can change to MS WORD easily if needed.

9. CURB APPEAL NC

yeah I though of that. It started out as just a worksheet for me and then thought the cust might want to know what exactly they are getting and for how much. But maybe your right. Im going to try it out and see what happens

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Huh?
    Explain to us that scheme.