1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I just wanted to say "Thank You"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott015, Jun 1, 2001.

1. scott015

scott015 LawnSite Member

over the last couple days I have been debating starting up a mowing business and you guys have all been great. You have given me some great ideas and have me on the right track I believe. If I never had found this site, I would still be up in the air on what to do. But I think I am going to hold off for right now (summer) and save up as much as I can and try and buy some equipment and trailor (cheap or used) and then in the fall-winter I will hand out as many fliers as my ole printer will print and maybe advertise on the web/newspaper.. and get my name out there....so maybe by next spring I can have 10 or so customers....and see how that goes...ya never know...maybe by the end of the summer I will have around 20....then for next season I will be pretty well off...(probably wont go that good, but I always look up, cause thats where everything is) And I need to finance a cheap used truck too. Right now I have a 99 Olds Alero and I know that wont pull a trailer...And as for the contracts...I think my first year I will forget that....maybe just charge $30 or small yards, and $35 for normal/medium sized yards....then if I do grow, the next season I will think about a contract...those prices sound about right??? well if anyone has anything else to point out...I am all ears....and again...T H A N K S!!!!
  2. scott015

scott015 LawnSite Member

ohh, and I forgot to add, maybe this summer or fall I can take a couple classes at the local college. I was thinking somekind of business management to help me with the whole money/tax thing....and then maybe a couple landscape/design or whatever they have to offer. If anyone knows of some specific classes that are helpful, I would like to know....
  3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your timeframe and plans are very realistic.

The pricing depends on your area, if nobody accepts your estimates, your too high, if everyone accepts, your too low. You'll find the market price within a year.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  4. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

If you are looking for some type of management classes, I would suggest that you buy a financial program for your computer such as Quickbooks. Then I would try to find a Quickbooks seminar in your area. they will teach you everything you need to know. What you don't learn... the program will do for you. It will be very wise to check with your county extension service. They can easily steer you in the right direction. It is really hard getting a feel for competitive prices on this board. The reason being we are all over the counrty. If you are talking about mowing, edging, trimming, and blowing, your minimum should be about $35. How high the prices go up per sq. footage depends on your local market. Good Luck!
  5. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Good luck to you Scott, hope you have a good future ahead.