I Keep Getting Underbid

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LBOperator, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Penncare

Penncare LawnSite Member

What equipment do you use?
    You say you cut @ 10 acres +/- in two weeks and only use 2 gallons of gas. Wow

I assume you mow only,correct?

Given your price structure you earn @ $150 for the 20 cuts and it takes you less than four hours, is that correct?

All I can say is more power to you if it works for you. No judgement here.

2. Vanderhoff Landscaping

Vanderhoff Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Damn! I want his overhead lol.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Step 1. Move back to parents basement. Oh wait, that was lawnguys business model.

4. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used Google maps to get an idea of the yard while I have the new customer on the phone if I'm near a computer. But I still walk the property before I give a bid.

5. Penncare

Penncare LawnSite Member

I consult the ouija board and then have my preacher to pray it gave me the right quote. lol

6. ncpete

ncpete LawnSite Senior Member

I use Zillow to get an accurate area for most yards I do, though some are not yet registered on GIS, or other systems that give accurate survey measurements, and I can use it on my tablet. it gives measurements in square feet

http://www.zillow.com

7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Zillow uses old sat photos, my house is from 5 yrs ago approx, how much does your bid change when you see the job?

8. ncpete

ncpete LawnSite Senior Member

true, the photos are old, I use the information as far as square footage, and I expect changes. I am sometimes actually sitting in front of the house when I pull that information up, so I can adjust the real work level - hedge/edge/trim to the reality I am facing.

9. MR-G

MR-G LawnSite Senior Member

5.00 isnt much of an upsell....you have to show your worth the extra 5.00 its not that hard...lic/ins good refs, professional uniforms, lettering on rig, nice website, and much more...your not the scrub for 35.00 you also do the little things like gutter cleaning, bring up trash cans if you see them by street, take the time to know your customers, play with their dog, if they come home with groceries stop and offer to help...it really goes a long long way when your building a good base.....after a while you step it down a bit but never stop....you are in the service business no different than a waitress or waiter your job is customer experience and satisfaction....word travels real fast in todays world great service is noticed and rewarded........good luck

10. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I have found SF to be wrong as often as it is correct on zillow.