I keep turning work down. What's wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wildstarblazer, Jan 1, 2014.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

The last few weeks I have had people call for estimates and I have been so lazy that I don't even call back. Some of them leave a message like I have an acre and I need a clean up and I'm like, I just don't want to.

I hate doing leaves and this time of year I just want to relax a little even tho I still could use the money I keep letting these customers get by. Am I nuts or what?

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Calling them back and referring a buddy would be nice.

3. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Your not hungry enough to really care. If you have customers calling you about estimates to be given for future work, most people in nearly any industry would would at least refer the work to someone else.
    If enough potential customers call your number and you do not even answer the phone, it will only be a matter of time before the phone stops ringing all together. Weather through advertising or your existing customer base people network with one another. Once you break their confidence in your ability to provide services rendered much less return a phone call the rumor mongers will get to work and than your competition will come in and finish off what is left of your customer base. I have seen this happen before, it's up to you if you want the same to happen to you and your business.
    easy-lift guy

4. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Your right, I need to get back with people but I hate the phone. I need an assistant for sure.

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

The weather around my place has been terrible, I don't get any calls and its eighter super cold or raining.

6. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't want it I am sure you have a buddy who does.
    My friends and I do this quite often.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I started doing that last season, I did refer them to someone else though...I work solo, so I just decided that I couldn't be everything to everybody, I was burning myself out...I have been focusing on things I can do myself, narrowing my customer base to weed out the slow payers, etc. sort of rebuilding.....

8. It's called burnout.

9. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Lost the drive for the industry. Make a change. New Years resolution.

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I did this after my third season. I noticed last year how much money was lost and started taking those jobs. This year I'm booked for half the winter and will sell more.
    Posted via Mobile Device