1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I knew it was coming but still a shock when you see it.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by GLC51, Aug 14, 2005.

1. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

Gas has been rising steadily and they said it would be over a $1 per litre this summer but it's stilla shock when you see it for the first time. It's been bouncing up and down for a few weeks 92 - 98 cents. This morning the gas stations had temporary displays up $104.9 per litre. Only the Sunoco stations have 4 digit price signs. For the Americans a litre is about a quart. There are 3.78 litres to a US gallon so the price this morning was $3.96 for a US gallon. :realmad: :angry: :dizzy: :cry:
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

DAM :nono: :nono: :nono: -------------------------
  3. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

It has reached $3.00 a gallon in California and some other places here in the States. In Michigan where I live, it is around $2.65 a gallon. This has gotten ridiculous. Gas prices are up 33% over last year I think I saw on the news. If I raised my lawn prices 33% I would be out of business in no time. I have already posted my resume on Monster.com and CareerBuilder.com and am trying to leave the industry altogether. Figured I should try and use my Bachelor's Degree for something else. By next spring, I doubt I will be in business anymore if I find the right job in the next 6 months.
  4. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

I read an article in the paper a while ago that talked about the energy crisis in the 70's and how everyone downsized vehicles and so on. In it the talk was that for Canadians to seriously downsize again would take gas prices of $1.50/litre. I hope the gas companies don't decide to try it out to see.
    I just put a new oil tank in for the furnace, I don't want to know what it's going to cost to fill it from empty...unfortunately I don't have a lot of options available for heating the house, although I do burn as much wood as I can.
  5. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Paid $2.519 yesterday for 87. Deisel was $2.599.

Not too brutal for me yet.
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Ours went from 2.39 Friday to 2.49 and today I saw it at some stores already at 2.59. At the dime a day it will here 3.00 by the end of the week. Im with Davis lawn on this, Im affraid in my area this will be the end for me and a lot more small time LCO. I cant go up anymore and cant absorb it either. Im affraid folks will start back cutting their on yards because they have got to save somewhere and I am a disposable luxury.
  7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I pay average 115 cents per litre, but it goes up on weekends and public holidays to 130 cents a litre lol, ouch!

problem is many lawnies aren't putting this rise in their fees, so when those of us try to we start losing bids....doesn't make sense we cover this redulous feul pricing.

they predict within 6 months we will pay 150 cents a litre. good stuff, just what we need eh lol.
  8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Does anyone have any "Get-Go" stations near them? We have one and it is a "Giant Eagle" affiliate (grocery store), which has always had a membership card (free) that if you carry it with you when you shop, you are elligible for savings on store products... kinda like in house coupons.... for several years they have had an additional perk >>> the more you buy in the store the more savings you will receive on gas...

To give you an idea of how crazy this is.... yesterday I filled up my Trailblazer and my Z71 Silverado with medium grade fuel (normally $2.50+ right now) for..................................

$0.00....that is somewhere around 40-45 gallons of gas that would normally cost between $100 and $113 and we got it free just becasue we shopped in a store that we have always shopped in, buying the same stuff we always buy...the week before we didn't buy as much and I think we paid $4.50 TOTAL for 20 gallons of $2.50/gallon gas

only "issue" is the wait...I think they have 10 pumps and there is always 30-40 cars deep pumping, waiting, josstling for postion, etc...worth the wait
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I understand the US has built no refineries in the past, is this also a problem for Canada? Don't know very much about their infrastructure. Is the majority of oil bough from USA or Russian imports?

Sean, haven't seen a Get Go yet but will keep eye peeled for one.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ok now lets keep one thing in mind:
    With ALL my equipment AND the truck, I burn an average of 1 gallon of fuel per yard serviced. Of course this doesn't include estimates AND it also doesn't include those drive-by deals where you made the mistake of assuming it needed cutting and then it didn't (what really frustrates me are the few customers who like to cut it themselves about once/ twice a year) AND it doesn't include everything else that goes up in price (parts, supplies, etc).
    But ...
    Even thou gas is today TWICE as much as 3-4 years ago, it boils down to TWO dollars more per gallon than when I started, that still only raises the cost of the service by TWO dollars... If I charge $35 per average size lawn, it still only costs me TWO more dollars, not 35 + 35.
    The bummer of it is, if I spend TWO more dollars then I should technically get SIX more dollars in revenue to keep the %'s right and so my expense budget isn't fully dedicated to fuel... I am also glad everyone's freaking out, I'm tired of running last year's prices and am looking forward to a $5 increase this fall.