1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I know absolutely nothing.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Detroitdan, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan LawnSite Member

Old Ferris walk-behind with a Kawasaki engine. Not sure what size (HP) motor is, but it is around a 98 model I think. Anyway, it has been sitting outside for months uncovered, I can't get it to start. I checked the only things I know, which is to add fresh fuel and to change the plug. Trying to pull the engine over and looking at the plug while its out, I cant see a spark. Is there some kind of ignition part that I can replace? Like I said, I know absolutely nothing about small engines.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Standing at the handle bar on the right side of the engine should be a black wire coming from under the flywheel cover. This black wire should be plugged into the unit wire harness, Unplug this black wire (engine Kill Lead) then check for spark again. If you now have spark the problem lyes within the unit harness (kill or safety switch) somewhere. If you still have no spark that would indicate a problem with the coil or a ignition control module if equipped.

Look on the RH side of the engine block for a white bar code label, That will have the engine model and spec. code on it.

Is it a overhead valve engine ?
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You have any luck getting it to run yet?
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan LawnSite Member

No, had a buddy take a look and couldn't get it to run. Carb looks dirty, tried starting fluid and a new plug, spark checker shows spark so can't tell what the heck is wrong. He's supposed to come back when he has more time and work on it some more. It acts like it has compression, spark and fuel, so I am totally stumped.
  5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

try some carb cleaner. You might try putting some Seafoam in the carb & let it soak overnight.