1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I Know...Anouther Question About Dethatching

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pgoulding, Mar 13, 2006.

1. pgoulding

pgoulding LawnSite Member

I know there have been many questions concerning weather or not dethatching is good or bad for you lawn. But i had to ask, should i offer this service as a standard part of spring cleanups or not. I would be using a tow behind dethatcher, so I would like to know if it is worth it to the lawn to offer to all spring cleanup customers.

Thanks in advance for your help:waving: :waving: :waving:
  2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I live in Mass, and I offer de-thatching. I charge 2.5 or 3 times the mowing fee. I use a JRCO dethatcher on my ZTR. It is not real dethatching, but customers love it, it is cheaper and less extreme than real dethatching, and I offer it as an extra during clean-ups. Lets say a spring cleanup will cost $250, I offer the dethatching, which only takes maybe half an hour extra, an charge them about $125 extra. I set up some days in April where I do only dethatching, knock out 9 or 10 in a day, and make some decent cash for easy work.
  3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If your using a tine rake then one pass is not dethatching it's just raking and it is a good tool for cleanups. It will help lift matted grass and remove leaves and stick from the lawn. For a though dethatching I go over the lawn several times (3-6) with the JRCO tine rake and sometimes even more. basically keep going until your not pulling much up. Spring or fall cleanup time is a great time to do this because your mower can bag up the cleanup debris from the beds and such along with the thatch and it helps open up the lawn surface to stimulate new growth.