I know I'm bouncing around with these questions but...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnBoy89, Aug 31, 2005.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright guys I don't know if you know my backround or not yet but I'm 16, I use my dads truck to haul my trailer and 48'' belt drive mower. I've saved up almost $4000. Should I use this for a down payment on a vehicle of my own, or should I use it to buy a Lazer that a friend of mine is selling. The guy that I will be buying it from does 80 accounts in 3 days with one helper, he had some problems in the past with the Lazer, head gaskets and a few other things. I'm not sure how many hours are on it but its a 60'' Lazer and I'm going to look at it tonight because I have to price out a tree removal job right across the street. I know he takes excellent care of it and he said he would let me use it for a day.

Having about 15 accouts, some rather large, would buying a 60'' Lazer be a good idea or should I use it as a down payment on a truck?

I'm leaning towards the lazer because I've been getting more and more lawns, and with school and a part time job its hard to keep up especially while its getting darker sooner and school. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I'll tell you the hours on the machine after I go look at it.

Sorry about the long post and thanks for reading...
  2. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

My advice would be to stay out of debt. If your dad doesnt mind you using his truck then keep using it, buy the Lazer, and save your money to pay cash for a good used truck. It is very easy for guys to rack up a lot of debt on trucks and equipment and then spend their lives working for the bank.
  3. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

don't buy the lazer. that's a waste of money if you have a 48" belt drive and are finishing your accounts now. Use the money on a quality trailer if you don't have one since you already have access to your dads truck. keep saving.

regarding that tree job.... be careful, you could lose your ass on a job like that. i speak from experience.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I just changed my mind about getting the new truck i want. Thanks guys for talking me out of that one!! My dad is giving me his suburban and with the money that i have saved for a vehicle ill just use to buy a much bigger trailer and a new fisher plow. I wouldn't buy either of those things if i were you. Good Luck, just my 2 cents!hey landscape89, hope your first day of school went well, ill be back in a little bit. Nice truck on lawnsite but i agree with you, thats a lot of miles!! Well, will be back in a bit, ill talk to you then!