I know it has been asked a lot but can someone suggest a blade sharpener for solo guy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clydesdale, Jul 27, 2007.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a hand held grinder for many many years, I would like to trade up to whatever is the proper way. Can you please recommend a brand, model and place to get it? Thanks

2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I started out using just a 4" hand grinder. A bench grinder is great if you have access to one.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I have a banch grinder and some times I wish I had a jig. I have trouble keeping it at the right angel....

but I'm getting better.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Why? What is not working about your present setup that causes you to want to make a change?

5. clydesdale

My guess is that I do not have the proper angle. There is no doubt the blades are sharper when am done. But maybe there is a proper way. I am wondering if I could get a better cut if I had the blades sharpened to where they should be.

6. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i got an Oregon blade sharpener on ebay for right under $300 after shipping. it even has a light on it and is adjustable so you can lower the wheel as it wears. it has a forward and reverse on it. so far i love it. you can also spend less than a hundred on a regular bench grinder tho and get almost the same result.

7. clydesdale

I have seen some talk about an "angle grinder". What is this and how does it compare to a dedicated blade grinder. Thanks

8. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 1HP, 8" bench grinder. Works great!

9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

4" hand grinder at pep boys for $30..........If you only have 2-3 machines

10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I use a bench grinder and this year I took the top off it. Now I face the grinder away from me and basically put the blade on the back upper side of the wheel. It works much better then grinding toward you.

I still have a tendency to round off the outer edges of my blades though:(

Riobi.. Nothing but the best for me.