1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I know its a NO NO.......

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jwilson32, May 12, 2004.

1. jwilson32

jwilson32 LawnSite Member

I have never done this but i have two sprays that are really far from a spray zone but a zone for rotors goes right by them. Can i tap them into the rotor zone? Ive seen it done a lot. like i said i was tought never to do it but can it be done?
  2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, it can be done. Highly not recommended because sprays put down way more water in a given area than a rotor will.
  3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

you can do what ever you want...is it the right way...nah...

is it the economical way...i guess so.

i do it.

i have learned that if i do everything by the book 'how we ALL should install systems, i will be a lonely person'.

4. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Sprays put down way more water than a rotor. I learned that the hard way.
  5. greenwayirrigation

greenwayirrigation LawnSite Member
    from ma

there is a nozzle thats called mp something, it fits onto a rainbird sray head that puts out less water than a spray and can run with a rotor zone. its a finger type spray, kinda goffy looking but it would be the right way to go
  6. MP Rotator is what it is called.....and it worked well the time or two we used it.

I agree with Brian...I gave up many years ago trying to convince some people that we "couldn't" do it that way. Now, we explain to them the problems associated with what they want to do....get them to sign the invoice where we have written....."upon customer's request we have done blah blah"....and move on.

Believe it or not...those customers NEVER call back to complain...the ones that complain are the other ones for another thread.
  7. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Convert over to a smaller area rotor. HUNTER just came out with the PGJ. You can tweak it down pretty good to cover a spray area.

MP Rotors are nice but lack oerformace when you turn them down to less than a 10' stream.

Its a great nozzle but they need to make one that is comparable to water areas that a spray head would do.
  8. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Every system we install has our name on it and Never, Never have we installed a fixed on a rotary zone. If the customer doesn't want it done the right way, we will let the low dollar contractor take the job. I see alot of contractors that do it and I think it's just terrible.
    In addition, we never will put mini rotors on the same zone as rotors or the MP rotator on anything except it's own zone.
    We have been using the MP rotators this year and so far, I think they are great, in the right application. They apply water at very low rates and I don't see how it would be possible to put them on a rotary zone without underwatering the area.
  9. h2o2gunr

h2o2gunr LawnSite Member

rainbird has a mini rotor the 3500. i use it in that situation. i have used them where i would a spray with 10 van.