I know it's late but how about another cleanup ?.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Dec 16, 2003.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

It's late in the season and I wasn't going to do any cleanups this year (first year in business) but a clients asked me to and I caved. Did a search and got this-blow out leafs to middle of lawn, rake onto tarp, wrap, and haul. Sound about right? I have back pack blower, rakes, and tarps is that good enough?
    PLEASE give some advice. THANKS TO THOSE WHO DO!

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

ya go for it! its to late in the game for much elce. just the bp and tarps away u go

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Sounds like a good setup to me. You could also mulch the leaves in with a mower if you have one available for the job.

There is lots of things that can still be done. You can prune back grasses now if you wanted to. Mulch beds for good protection during the colder winter months.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it depends on the type of property...if they are surrounded by woods just blow them into the woods, if not you have three other options: mulching them down, bagging them with a mower, or raking/blowing them onto a tarp

5. precisioncut

Thanks guys I will have to get to work then-I will try the tarp method because were in the city and I dont feel like mulching or bagging.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're using a backpack, just a word of experienced advice. Don't get too caught up in the task, that you lose site of productivity. In other words, depending on how many leaves there are, don't be afraid to make several smaller gathered piles, and THEN pick those up. You can flick piles up onto a tarp and move them much faster than you can move larger bulks with backpacks. People so often lose sight of what they are doing, and lose sight of the actual production. After a wahile, you will have it dialed in of what you can move feasibally and when to walk away from it and work on forming a new pile. The same holds true with anything,.. including pushblowers. I hope this helps!

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I couldn't agree more. I have noticed with myself and my workers that when they use a backpack blower then get caught up in just using it, and not thinking.

8. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey guys, here we are to far into winter, we are averaging a snow even a week, ground is way to soggy, temps are freezing, leaves are frozen and soaked. no good for cleanups. im telling everyone to just wait till spring.

9. precisioncut

stslawncare-I live in the desert-1 hour away from Vegas-not an ounce of snow or rain for that matter just cool temps

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I find I get can get caught up blowing big piles at times. It's more efficient often times to gather smaller piles instead of blowing big piles of leaves across the lawn. But sometimes I get lazy and will just stand there blowing piles of leaves taking far more time then necessary just to keep blowing with the back pack.