1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I know, no financing but... whats a good down payment?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Cuttinitclose, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you all say to buy equipment outright but Im only am 15yo, my mower isn't going to last much longer using it commercially, and I want one before fall.

My price range is $6500 - $7500. What is a good down payment? Is there anyway to bargin w/ the dealer to knock the price down a little? I can probably have around $1500 before leaves start to fall.

There is no way for me to buy one outright. I want a warranty on one. There is good financing right now. It would be in my dads name until January then it would be in mine.

Do you think I should try to stick it out until next year?

I really appreiciate it. If I posted this in the wrong place please move it.
  2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Your 15 walk a little bit more with a walk behind before you go rack up some debt on your big zero turn rider.
  3. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Have you considered USED equipment? Or possibly re-powering what you have? Why do you say what you have won't last much longer? $6500 - $7500 for a 15yo is quite a chuck of money to invest in a mower, and one should really never finance (unless it is very very short term). What about a nice walk behind mower? From looking at your list of equipment nothing really screams commercial stuff. Why jump right into a mower that expensive? I've seen some really nice used stuff. Don't over extend yourself too much.
  4. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

1. I dont use a walkbehind.
    2. I use a rider.
    3. Its either now or later.
    4. I have a bad knee so I cant walk behind a mower a day.
    5. I dont want a walkbehind. I see no point in them for my uses.
  5. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Think about what you do before you do it. We all make purchases we regret later on. My first zero turn was a 60 inch diesel, then we got a 48 zero turn for gated yards. We now realize we only have 4 yards that absolutely NEED the 48, but we have many big ones that would benefit from another 60 diesel. So we wish we never got the 48 and just parted with the 48 inch back yard gated houses. However, we do have my clients with small gated yards, where we use our exmark 36 inch walk behind. Honestly, if the 60 goes down, we get away without it, 48 goes down, we get away without it. 36 goes down, we are screwed. My point being. Your first mower should be a 36 inch walkbehind. You will always need one of those, unless you can afford to turn down business. Start with one of those, and get a 2 wheeled velky for your bad knee. Use that to speed up your mowing, and bank some money for a zero turn. If you buy a zero turn first, youll QUICKLY mow the front yard, but the back will be done with a 21 inch slow mower, killing your time per yard. Do it all with a 36 with a velky, and youll be ahead......think about it.
  6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

1. I've recently picked up learning a WB. It's not hard once you get the hang of it.
    2. A WB will save you time over a riding mower.
    3. Then why rush it?
    4. Then get a sulky. Do some leg exercises and you'll strengthen your knees. Unless it's a serious problem, walking can be good for building up strength.
    5. Try out a WB with z-style controls. Toro T2 or Gravely Pro-steer are good options. Same control as a ZTR, but gives you the added benefit of a WB as a first mower.
  7. djflats

djflats LawnSite Senior Member

Somewhere between $6500 and $7500 would be a good down payment.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Just get a 48" hydro walk behind and a sulky. That would be productive and cost a couple thousand less than a ztr. Dude if you are 15 and you already have knee problems then this is not the right profession for you. I'm 16 but I will walk behind a 36" belt drive all day no problems. You just got to suck it up. I wouldn't spend that huge amount of money on a mower when you don't have to do this for a living. Just get something in between like a hydro walkbehind.
  9. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still using 'used' stuff past 3 years..has treated me well for my needs. Not one payment. Had I had zillion accounts then I'd have to go new I suppose. You came on 'asking' opinions guy..Don't get bent out of shape if you get advice that doesn't lean toward your opinions. These guys have been down your road..some several times over. They are trying to tell you the 'best' advice. Most comes from experience. No one said you 'must' do this or that..it's your call- but if I were you I'd keep the 'don't answer if not going to help' remarks to yourself and just ponder on what has been suggested. You know the final is your call..so take in all the advice you can and be thankful guys are willing to share their opinions. It is from folks that are in the buisness and know the ups/down of what it takes to be profitable. You asked..you recieved. I do wish you well- Geno
  10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member