I know nothing about websites...

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by IN2MOWN, Nov 20, 2007.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

So who can help me?

I have my domain registered and now I want to get into it and start messing around with it...how do I do that?

Please talk to me like Im not a 33 year old business owner with a family but rather a 10 year old who has never laid eyes on a computer.

Thanks.

2. CFLS

CFLS LawnSite Member

I didn't know anything either until a few months ago. I found Yahoo Sitebuilder and it looked pretty easy to use so I downloaded their software and got to work. The program walks you through everything. If you don't like their layouts, you can make your own. Do some research, it's really not too hard.

3. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

I concur that yahoo site builder is very user friendly and a good place to start.
    There is much more to a website then just layout, having the proper search engine optimization in place is critical in your prospects finding you.

Just keep picture file sizes low and keep your pages clean. People will not wait for pictures to load on their computer and if everything is a jumbled mess it will be a direct reflection in their eyes as to what your landscaping will be.

Take some time to review landscaping websites, see what you like and use some ingredients from everybody to make your soup.

BTW, I hope I have talked to you like a 30 something business owner, I am sure most 10 year olds are doing website design in kindergarten now!

4. Trkcat_Ga

Trkcat_Ga LawnSite Member

Looks like alot of folks use Yahoo but if your looking for something a bit cheaper with just as many if not more "goods"..

1and1.com webhosting

I have been using them for 5 years now and never had a problem. If you check out the Linux hosting plans I think the 1&1 Home plan is plenty big enough for any small Biz. Linux Hosting is alot better than windows hosting in my opinion.

5. jhuanger629

jhuanger629 LawnSite Member

i also recommend 1and1 for hosting, and simply putting up an informational html site.

Programs like dreamweaver make it extremely easy to get a site up and running. Feel free to pm if you need any help.

6. Buena Vista

Buena Vista LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am in the 10 year old group ...

someone tell me what the difference is with Linux hosting and Microsoft hosting .. as I see these are options ..

7. jhuanger629

jhuanger629 LawnSite Member

Buena and others choosing between windows/linux.

http://webdesign.about.com/cs/webhosting/a/aa050304.htm - is quick link about the differences (or lack there of between the two).

It's usually a matter of personal preference. For your basic informational websites, either will do the job.

8. NeilsWeb

NeilsWeb LawnSite Member

The first thing you must cosider is:
    A) How am I going to get a site online?

Now what do you need to get your site online?
    1- A domain
    2- A Site (the code, HTML)
    3- A Web Host.

DOMAIN: You got a domain so no explination needed here.

DESIGN: For site design you have several option
    1- Hire somebody to design
    2- Buy a template
    3- Install blog software (wordpress blogger) and use there free templates (thousands of them)
    4- Combination of the three above (buy template, hire designer to custimize it, ext..)
    5- Learn HTML/CSS and make your own site (may take a while)

HOSTING: What to consider?
    The main thing to think about is what your site will be in the future. Do you see the need for any server side languages (PHP) These languages will allow you to implement things into your site like mailing lists and content forms.

A great web host is: www.freehostia.com. You get free hosting with no adds.

9. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

it is not that bad our thirteen year old started ours on one day and is getting ready for some updates. www.travelntrees.com

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would personally get unix, if for no other reason than it is the standard, it's more secure and stable, and it accepts a wider variety of files, most support on the Web is for unix servers.

But...
    Unless you're getting your own server (dedicated) it makes little difference whether it's windows or unix, technically speaking it does but most you will see on a virtual host is similar from one to the next, doesn't really matter.

Now that's the two of it, I'd still go unix thou.