1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I know there are a lot of questions about wb's but

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cajuncutter, Jan 29, 2002.

1. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here it is. I am sure you all are tired of people asking about those dayum walk behinds but I got to ask. I am torn between the Exmark and the Gravely 36 inch belt drives. I would like to hear from those that have both or have had both to comapre. I am not interested in Scag or Walker or many of the others. I do not have a dealer here for some of the units that you all talk of. I just would like to know if there is a big difference between the double belts on a grav. and the single belt on the exmark. Which pulls better in damp or wet situations? Between the 2 there is a $50 dollar difference so I am trying to get the best bang for my buck..Exmark comes with Kholer 15hp and gravely comes with 12.5 kaw I beileve
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I own a gravely 36 that i bought in '96. To date I have not spent a penny on repairs on the machine. This machine is built very heavy duty and handles well. Yhe quality of cut is exellent in my opinion. If you were comparing a 48 exmark to a 50 gravely id tell you the 48 exmark cuts better....but since your comparing the too 36's I cant amagine them getting much better then the gravely. Also is the gravely your looking at the new redesigned model with the standard double blades? If not i would wait for the new one....I have had the chance to demo the new gravely and there really something!
  3. Not sure on the Gravely but the Exmark does run a double belt, it's just one whole belt, not 2 seprate belts. It's 2 v-belt made as one.

Same as most of the belt drive mowers on the market.

My Lesco 36" has the same design.

If it was up to me I would go with the one that has the Kohler 15hp, but the 12.5 Kaw. is plenty of hp.

Flip a coin heads for one and tails for the other.

Notice I did not say which one. This goes up for the coin toss. If you would like we can arange to do it on camera. Would make some fun for the lawn care guys I sappose.

Barry where are you?
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 36" Exmark and have used the new 36" Gravely and my preference is still with the Exmark. The new Gravely seems to be considerably heavier than the Exmark. When I tried to get the front end of the Gravely off of the ground (as though you were hopping a curb with it) I could just barely get it to move. I weigh 170 pounds. Also the Exmarks controls seemed to be easier to use although I may be used to them. My Exmark has a 14 hp Kaw that seemed to handle deep, tall grass better than the Gravely's new 13 hp twin Kaw.
  5. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" belt driven eXmark and the 50" belt driven Gravely. The eXmark is a ~95 model and the Gravely is a 98. I like the eXmark over the Gravely for the following reasons: The eXmark does noticeably better on hills, the front end is easier to raise from the handle bars, the Gravely has a knee shifter (the eXmark doesn't) the eXmark is very easy to pull backwards to the point I save time instead of shifting the Gravely (It is very hard to pull the Gravely backwards). The cut is a little better on the eXmark although not a lot. The worst thing about the Gravely is the angle of the handle bars and I guess vibration cause a carpo tunnel type syndrome (fingers falling asleep easily) after using it for several days. PLEASE keep in mind that both of these machines are several years old, so I am sure they do not compare directly with the new models.

I hope this helps,

6. Clewsew

Clewsew LawnSite Member

You can also get the 36" Gravely with the Kaw 15hp twin.