I know this is on here a lot...STIHL vs. ECHO..Kombi vs PAS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenBlade, Jul 28, 2012.

1. GreenBlade

GreenBlade LawnSite Member

I am most likely going to upgrade my trimmer either this season or beginning of next season. I am looking at the multi-task tools such as the KombiSystem & ECHOs PAS systems. So, one question is are these good? Anyone use them? Like them? Should I or should I just buy separate trimmers, edgers, etc.

I calculated everything up & the STIHL KM 55-R (which is under the home-owner classification) with a trimmer & edger attachment will run me around $410. The ECHO PAS-230 with the same attachments will run me $440.

Here are some things to consider: The STIHL has a 27.2cc & the ECHO has a 22.8cc engine. So, less money buys a more powerful engine. But, I already have an ECHO blower and I love it, plus you can't beat their warranty. Also, ECHO has the bed redifiner attachment for their PAS system. STIHL does not offer anything like that. I have thought about getting the STIHL and buying ECHOs redifiner later, but thats $600 right there.

Just let me know what you guys think I should do! Thanks.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Kombi hands down...KM90 and up, all commercial equipment.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

get a stihl pro model not the H/O. I have the KM100 I think. Its the smaller pro version. The reason to have the attachment tool over a dedicated is for the extensions, mainly for use with the hedge clipper. I have a
    PAS 265 also. Its a cheaper build than the stihl and so are the attachments. The problem is their cast pieces, both on the end of the powerhead and the cast pieces on each attachment. They are softer than the stihls. If your more careful than me theyll hold up fine. The stihls are holding up better for me all the way around though. The motors are good.

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

PS stihl finally gave up on those caps.

5. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive used the heck outa a PAS 260 for 5-6 years and have not had a problem yet.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

And for a good damn reason!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I just bought another sthil 130 with a power broom, that is my third one and we use them 5-6 days a week. 130 unit is an animal and is worth the extra dime IMHO. I have not used an echo for some time, not that they are bad but my dealer does not carry that line.

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Ive newer found that power brooms need much power. Dont they just start tossing the bedris back over the top? In other words your using it at 1/4 to half throttle all the time?

9. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

We use the power brooms on the seal coating side, they only see asphalt mostly. Never get debris back over the top and to us they are worth their weight in gold. I had the smaller unit and would rather run at half throttle with bigger head, then flat out with smaller unit that just me.

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

What do you use it for? I dont get what your saying