I know this question comes up alot but...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Jul 11, 2003.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I wanted to hear from some of the lawn company's that actually have larger ads in the yellow pages. I am looking to gain more commercial accounts and the only way i have been is by in your face advertising no yellow page listing. I was looking at putting a dollar bill size ad in. And i wanted to hear if it worked or not from some of the company's that had comparable ads.

Thanks Jason
  2. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

I don't think an ad in the yellow pages will help much with commercial accounts. Commercial accounts come from networking and word of mouth.
  3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

The well established businesses which get the bulk of the work usually only have their company name and number listed, and maybe a stamp sized add right by the name.
  4. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

If you do quality work at a reasonable price and ASK for Referrals! you should get more business. If you want success, work for a realitor and do quality work for him at a reasonable price. If he likes your work he will give your name to his buddies and before you know it you will be mowing every house for sell in town.
  5. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

Commercial accounts that are you want will not be looking in the Yellow Pages for their lco. The attractive accounts have companies beating down their doors looking to give bids each year. Best bet for commercial is to drop in and introduce yourself or find out who is the decision maker and send some eye catching ads to them directly.
  6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Im fixing to try this method of advertising...........the local chamber of commerce called me today and asked me to become a member. They send out a list of names to over 850 local businesses in the area with info about your company, place your business in their local newsletter, and show your name on their television show. The cost of membership is $220 a year. Could be worth a shot looking into something like that in your area.
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont quite understand this. At least in my area Most houses are occupied and are the owners responsibility to maintain when they are for sale:confused:

Why would the realtor selling a home have anything to do with having the grass cut?
  8. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

alot of times with commercial props you need to go out and get the work.alot of places around here have had the same landscape company for 6 + years.send bids to these companies.thats what i did.see they don't have time to call around to get bids for the grounds care.i have had big and small yellow pages adds and i get about the same % of calls almost.
  9. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I would think that the realtor would have a vested interest (e.g. commission) in keeping up the property and may either have it done themselves or talk the owner into it, especially if the owner is not residing there at the time. Most properties for sale around here are empty because the owners have already moved.
  10. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

yea makes sense i was thinking of a business card ad maybe a leader ad it has just gotten so expensive to advertise in the newspaper here.