1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I know you have seen this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fall46, Aug 4, 2004.

1. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

a million times but I need advice, steps to remedy the pictures below........My thoughts were to

#1 till soil
    #2 rake weeds, old grass and other crap out
    #3 add peat moss
    #3.5 till again
    #4 seed
    #5 add starter fertlizer/bag of something the landscape yard sold me on..

Questions is the right procedure ........... do I need to add roundup to the equation?????????Help suggestions steps would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

2. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

more weeds in this picture

3. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

just the beginning of some minor weeds here

4. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I would spray with Roundup - ± 2 weeks before you wanna start with your renovation project. Then till, rake and grade those areas. Are you sodding or seeding? 13-13-13 is a good starter fertiliser. If you are sodding put a light application of starter fert. down on the sod bed before laying your sods and then second light app. on top of the new sods after the installion.
    Good luck
  5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I would round up also but you should change number 1 to soil test and then number 2 after pulling cores would be to spray. This look to be neglected for many years and could have been depleted of nutrients. I would add some compost rather than peat moss. Probably would have better results.
  6. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

I was planning on seeding the area...... will that preclude using the roundup waiting longer etc????

A couple of follow up questions......If I tilled the area and raked and pulled the weeds other grass etc out..... would the roundup still be neccesary as a first step or any step? (wouldn't tilling and then raking the weeds out be an effective method.... or does that disturb them casuing more weeds to form Will roundup effect using seed to grow back the grass........

The other area that has minimal weeds (last picture) would that need roundup as well.
  7. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

whats the minimal amount of time,,,, I coud till after I sprayed and started seeding

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

round up first kills the weeds.
    Wait a week, then top dress with compost. Compost is better than peat. Peat has no nutrients to speak of. Then till, no need to rake dead stuff out. just adding organics to the soil never a bad thing.

If you are really worried about weed seeds round up again and wait a week then seed, or cover the area with thick black plastic for a a week and let the lack of light and heat bake it all out.

then go with seeds. Personally I would sod. no need to worry about weeds competing with the sod.
  9. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

How many square feet? If it was less than 1000 Id tell them you can only sod because of the slopes.
    It looks like someone already tryed to seed, and it ran down near the sidewalk.
  10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Is there alot of clay in the soil? You might want to add a little sand if there is.