I learned my lesson today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TomberLawn, Apr 24, 2008.

1. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually leave my trailer and equipment at one of my customers' houses during school so that it doesn't take up a lot of space in the parking lot and for security. Today, I was in a hurry to get to school (I had to take a graduation cap and gown to my brother for a special ceremony) and I didn't have time to drop off the trailer at a lady's house a couple miles from school, so I just parked my truck and trailer in a parking lot behind one of the buildings. Everything was locked down with bicycle locks or cables and padlocks, so nothing was stolen, but I'm pretty sure somebody sliced the deck belt on my Ferris.

When I got to my customer's house, I pulled the mower off the trailer, let it warm up for a minute, and drove over to the lawn. As soon as I pulled the PTO switch up, I knew something didn't sound right, so I pushed it back down. The engine was just above idle. I looked at the spindle pulleys and the belt was really loose, so I got down to see if it had slipped off of a pulley. Nope. I found 2 loose ends dangling on the deck. My mower has only 80 hours, so I really doubt the break was caused by wear, although it was showing slight wear. The break looked pretty clean, too.

Well, that wasn't the biggest lesson I learned (not to bring my equipment to school). I went to a local farm equipment and mower dealer to get a belt. Didn't have one that cross referenced. So, I called the biggest lawn care equipment dealer around and gave the parts lady the Ferris number to cross reference. Still nothing. Finally, I went down to the local NAPA and the lady measured the belt, looked it up, and said she could have me one at 8 a.m. tomorrow. I went ahead and ordered 2, because I wasn't about to be caught without an extra belt.

Just a word of wisdom that I learned today: Always carry spare parts, because one problem can knock you out for the rest of the day.

I'm planning on skipping my classes tomorrow (next to last day of classes before exams and all we're doing is review) and mowing what I was supposed to do today and tomorrow.

2. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

that was the last thing I was thinking of doing when I skipped school. But that has been awhile ago.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Who on earth has the time to think about slicing a deck belt on a riding lawnmower that he/she does not even own?? If this is indeed what happened, and some kid did it, the parents of that kid should be hogtied - haven't obviously taught them anything namely respect for other people and their belongings.

4. TomberLawn

I've never skipped class in college, but this is applying some of what I learned in economics. The opportunity cost of sitting is class for half the day doing nothing is making $400 mowing. Which would you do?

By the way, I didn't mean to post this thread twice. I think I hit the stop button to make a couple of changes after I hit submit, but it must have already submitted.

5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Check that belt from Napa for the correct width many time they are a bit big or small, always good to know before you leave the store.

6. TomberLawn

I really hope it was just a freak accident and not vandalism. I go to a private Christian college, so it would be a shame to think somebody would do that. I have heard of guys having their cars keyed recently, though.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't mean to sound so harsh either....will hope it was an accident too.
    Best of luck at school....

8. TomberLawn

DA Quality Lawn, I agree with you--parents are to blame for the behavior of today's youth. They get away with murder when they're 3, so they think they can get away with anything when they're 20 also. I was just saying it is a shame that things like this can still happen at "The Premier Small, Private University of North Carolina," as Wingate advertises itself to be.

9. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if I agree with you on the blame always resting on the parents. I had 3 kids and believe me I disciplined those kids. 2 of the 3 grew up to be extremely respectable and responsible and 1 developed into a drunk, drug addict with no respect for himself, the law or other peoples property. I talked to him, yelled at him, grounded him, even took the belt to him. I tried everything within the confines of law to teach him respect and discipline all to no avail. Some are just going to be what they are going to be despite the best efforts of the parents.
    I read a great quote from Mrs. Carter once, "I had two sons, I raised them both identically and one became president of the United States and the other is an unemployed alchoholic."

10. TomberLawn

TforTexas, I didn't mean any offense in what I said. I understand that some kids will be rebellious no matter how well they were raised. As a society, though, kids nowadays are not being held responsible for their actions. My mom is a teacher and my dad is a retired school principal. In their 20-30 years of experience, they have seen a definite trend towards "mollycoddling" of kids. In the old days, and even when I was in elementary school, if a kid got in trouble at school, he got in trouble at home. I remember having to write my name on the board a couple of times. When I got home, my rear-end met a different board. It only took a couple of swats for me to learn that if I behaved well at school, I wouldn't get in trouble when I got home. Now, kids get in trouble at school, but it's the teacher's fault or administrator's fault. My parents have heard so many parents complain that "He's a good boy, you just don't understand him." The kid gets out of everything at home and the parents get him out of everything at school. This is a big cause of overcrowded prisons.