I like it. I like it A LOT!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOOLIE, Sep 21, 2007.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I did an estimate for a single mom back in June...she was happy with the price but her ex-husband convinced her to save her money and have her (lazy, slacker) 17 year old son mow. Well this didn't really work out too well for her :laugh: So she called me back and we started mowing for her.

Now the part I like A LOT...she decided that her son should have to pay for his slacker-ness....so she told him he has to pay for half the monthly mowing bill :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love it :laugh: At this point he said he would just mow the lawn but she told him he had the chance and blew it, now he has to pay...She told me he said "Where am I gonna get the money for that?" and she told him he best get out there and look for a job :laugh:
  2. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you get to mow "both" lawns hoolie!
  3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Some parents apparently don't mind trying to instill an old fashioned work ethic in their children ... that's great !!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah I don't know about all that...:laugh: I guess maybe I could hire the son? That would be an interesting twist on the story...hmmm...
  5. KTO Enterprises

whats she look like?
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh someone who gets an estimate, then decides later my price wasn't so bad ...

Just something to keep in mind, I didn't start doing this until my 5th-6th year but
    I usually take this opportunity to raise the price $5.
    Same with folks who let me go / hire someone else, then call me back.
    It's about somewhere along being wishy washy, cheap, or having no sense of loyalty.

Almost always my first price really is my best price.
    +$5, should've said yes or kept me when you had me good as it gets, my attitude.

Anyhow no biggie, good luck.
  7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Not that I'm complaining, but it is amazing (though a bit sad) how many of my clients have able bodied children in the house that could easily mow the lawn or clean up the yard for their parents. And from the looks of it, many have mowers and even riding mowers in their garages. These kids have absolutely no work ethic at all.
    I'm in my mid thirties, and grew up in an upper middle class area. All of my friends and I did the yard work with our parents on the weekends, that is just the way it was. I don't remember any of my parents neighbors having landscaping services, either. I have two good friends who are brothers, their father was always having them do yard work, we still laugh about how they cleared the woods behind their house. They dug the stumps by hand, sometimes it would take them the entire weekend to dig one stump. They worked on that backyard for a couple of years:cry:
    But guess what, the work didn't hurt them, they are both white collar guys now, and very successful. It just amazes me how much things have changed in the last 20-25 years.
    Good to hear it worked out for you Hoolie.
  8. KTO Enterprises

Its because kids these days are worthless. heck I am still a kid and i will even say my generation is full of a bunch of worthless punks. We have too much of an entitlement problem in this country.
  9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like the single mom has already been with a slacker, and got rid of him. She doesn't want her son turning into his old man.
    I remember working on a farm when I was a kid, and we found it fun to try and out work each other, get twice as much done in a day, etc. Now a days, just to find a kid that can get out of bed the same time in two days is a challenge.