I like to keep my mow days the same

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Aug 16, 2011.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know about you guys but it is much easier for me to keep the customers on a certain mow day. We have some guys around hear that mow customers all different days from week to week. Some days they are on an 8 or 9 days schedule to a 6 day schedule. How do you guys do this? I know my customer want me at their lawn every 7 days this time of year. Not 8 or 9 days out. This one family in my area have about 200 customers and mow all different days. This has got to be tough to schedule this.
  2. I'm going to take a wild guess and say they are prob behind from the rain. Think about it, if you had 200 customers and were dealing with rain a couple times per week do you think you would always be on sched?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

This one family run company has been doing this for years. They come at all different days and hours. They have alot of lawns and do good work. They do a lawn behind my customer house. But it is always cut different days and rarely cut on a 7 day schedule. The must have a loyal following
  4. Not sure then.....my vote still goes for rain....
  5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Well when you do full service not every stop is the same. The add ons are where the money is. My schedule is fluid. Weekly may 5 days this week, 8 days next. No complaints.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

10 day mowing cycles have a place as a Business model. Sure the scheduling can sound a bit confusing but it works. The big advantage is by charging a customer a slight lower price per month you actually make more money per cut because you only cut 3 times a month. You also can handle 37.5% more customers at 8 day mowing with 2 days off.

I know this business model works because I had a friend who worked it for years.
  7. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I don't get that... if you are only cutting 3 times per month then I expect to only be charged 75% of what the other guy cutting 4 times per month would charge.
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Oops. It appears that you have stumbled into the wrong forum. This is the Florida forum. Our mowing season is year-round. We essentially charge by the year, broken into twelve equal payments. I might mow 5 or 6 times in July, 4 times in September, 2 times in December. It doesn't matter, same check at end of the month.
  9. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

right that makes sense.... I will let you guy enjoy the warmth....
  10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawns should be mowed when they need mowing. Why would you mow every 7 days if it doesn't need mowing for 10 to 14 days? Seems like a waste to me.