I lost half my lawns in one week!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRM Lawncare, Jun 3, 2004.

1. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

Granted I only had 10 properties to start with, they fell as follows:

1 - bought a new Murray at Walmart

2 - House was forclosed on (they paid me on time - go figure)

3 - Showed up and grandchild was cutting grass

4 - Lowballed badly ($30.00 yard being cut now for $12.50)

5 - Would not pay, so I dropped them

Guess I better get some flyers out and start cold calling again.
    The market around here sucks so we'll see how it goes.

Charlie
    CRM Lawncare

2. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I only hope you don't do this full time...were you behind or something?

3. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

This is my first year, I only mow part-time at the moment and with my work schedule I can only mow 2 evenings a week. I'm trying to either change my schedule or find another job to allow for time to grow my business.

Most of the accounts were cast offs from other companies but I was taking what I could get since I am starting out. I wasn't behind on any of the accounts, it just started with one call on Monday and went downhill for the week.

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Well thats a pretty bad string of bad luck.

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Keep your head up, and just replace those with some better customers now. Those most likely you would have lost in time anyhow, and are not really the customers you want.
    Just get out there and market yourself!

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

CRM if this makes you feel better last Sept. I lost 18 of 24 accounts in 2 weeks and this is full time for me. I had 3 passed away, 3 lost to 10-15 dollar lowballers,2 I dropped that would not pay and 9 job trabsfers, and it happened in a 2 week period! I am still trying to recover from it. I have picked up some new accounts lately but still have a long way to go.Hang in there.

Danny

7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at it as an opportunity to get some quality accounts, It is getting hot and many potential clients are looking for relief from doing thier own yard or are disatisfied with the ones they have. Get out there with your fliers and business cards.

8. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

Now is the time when I always pick up a few that are dissatisfied with their current LCO. I always put out more flyers right about now for that reason. Plus, like Rhett said, it's getting hot and people are going to stop wanting to do it themselves.

9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Hey...look at it this way. Now that you have all the smucks behind you, all the rest is success!

10. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

:cool: I attack hard this time of year :cool:
    Many LCO are behind or doing poor work so I steal accounts. Irrigation and pruning are nice ways to destroy your enemy... many LCO's here use hedge shears and NOTHING but.... Felcos are my sniper rifle, and I carry them when I meet their client for a walkthrough, I like to cut out "nubs" that shears leave- and my new client then thinks my enemy is just some mutant with a mower in his truck!
    THIS IS THE TIME TO GRAB THEM- DO IT NOW!!! flyer or whatever, you might want to put a free ad up on www.craigslist.org under the services listing.