I LOVE Bradford pear trees and wind!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, May 9, 2008.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Did I mention how much I love Bradfords and wind? ha ha ha!

Just got through cleaning up after some storm damage at one of my accounts. This is the third time for this one tree alone!
    Man, I love Bradford pear trees and wind, only taken together though!
    Trust me, that trailer is PACKED! A few of the larger pieces are in the back of the truck. Tony

Storm damage 050908 001.jpg

Storm damage 050908 002.jpg

Storm damage 050908 003.jpg

Storm damage 050908 004.jpg

Storm damage 050908 005.jpg

2. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

This happened about a year ago, still waiting for the rest to fall. Luckily it's close enough to the road the county has to do the clean-up. :laughing:

IMG_2641.jpg

3. Tharrell

By the way, BUY A SAW if you don't already own one or two.The best equipment investment I have made were on these two USED saws!
    One is a Stihl 028 (very old but powerful) and an Echo 3400 limbing saw.
    Together, I don't have $150 bucks in them. Tony

Chew toy and saws 003.jpg

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you replace the Bradford with another Bradford. It will guarantee you work in the future.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

We've got a beautiful Bradford in our yard, probably 21-22 years old and 30 to 35 feet tall with an equal diameter dripline, at least.

Since we moved here in 1999, I've been very religious about pruning out the "center" of the thing...to keep the inner capopy near the top as "open" as possible, without disrupting the overall shape.
    (Doing this kind of pruning properly allows for an internal "wind buffer".)

So far so good. It takes the wind like a champ. (knock on wood ;))
    Even ice storms!

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda interesting we got three different accounts with pear trees down and had very little wind but has been dry. And the nice thing is they very seldom ask for estimate just get it up.

7. omnimax

omnimax LawnSite Member

That's right around the corner from me. I live off Peace Haven. Had to look at those pictures twice to make sure.

8. Tharrell

Since you live so close, take a look at all the Bradfords in that shopping center. I never see any of the others with downed limbs. Tony