I love calls like this!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfdude, May 4, 2003.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Sunday morning 9 AM - doing a little paperwork before taking the day to spend w/ the family....

Phone rings and a woman asks if I can come right over and mow her lawn. No she's not a client, and we are booked for the season. I'm thinking sure, let me go out to the garage load up everything I need, run right out and make a quick $30 bucks or so - not gonna happen. I know that there are a lot of scrubs in this area, but come on - I don't think they even need the beer money that bad. It is a shame that so many still don't see this as a professional industry. We try to get done by 1PM on Saturdays as it is and don't work weekends July or August unless Mother Nature dictates otherwise.

It is a little enraging and disheartening at times when you get reminders of how low our profession is sometimes viewed. I know that spring and fall are more a crunch time for our industry, but some people don't realize that we too have lives, and families and need time off to relax. Sorry for the rant - just venting a little.

2. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

So you never said exactly what you told her. ( or told her where to go) lol.

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, what did you say?

4. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that people are inconsiderate, but when you are starting and do not have the money for bills, every little bit helps.

I personally would have said I would be there Monday in the a.m.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The sad thing that you are missing is that this call might have made someone' day! Most people do believe, as it is this is a service industry so when they call you come just like the plumber. Glad to hear that you schedule is full.

Gravely_Man

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I would have never even answered the phone. They should know that people don't usually work Sundays and should expect the answering machine to pick up instead.

It is true that people are inconsiderate. I did a fall clean-up on Christmas eve for a lady that ranted and raved and I finally gave in. I even pushed other customer's to the side to do this lady the 23rd and finished up on the 24th. I was the idiot for the day. I thought I was going to drop her for sure. She turned out to be one of the nicest and better clients that I have. I sometimes bite my tougue just so people don't get the better of me. This time it paid off and I now am being rewarded for it.

7. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Cos, just let the machine pick it up on the weekend. Turf dude I've had a lot of calls like that this spring. Usually they go like this...."my regular lawn guy can't cut my lawn, and it is really long now, could you cut it today? I'll be home for a couple hours this morning if you want to cut it....":rolleyes:

8. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

cos, I hear ya. As much as I hate last minute calls or dread doing some bids or jobs, you just never know when one might turn out to be one of the best accounts you might ever have. Marc

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's when you say. "Yep! It'll run you about $900 dollars, and will include the rest of the season, at no extra charge!":cool:

10. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Had the samething happen. My Doctors neighbor called and wanted me to cut her yard because her husband was out of town and she has RA (rumatoid arthritis).

I told her for me to justify me changing my schedual it would cost her double to cut it. She about dropped the phone.

She then says that her husband is going to be gone quite a bit this summer ( in attempt to get me to cut it with the promise of some work here or there). I tell her its still double but if she wants to avoid that she can sign the yearly contract and I'd be delighted to cut her lawn for whatever it would bid at.

She replied that she'd have to talk to her husband but she didn't think he'd go for it cause he likes cutting the grass so much... Go figure.