1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I Love Commercials

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Jul 14, 2008.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

A new commercial. I really enjoy them over residentuals. For one thing you can mow them any time of the day this one was cut last week around 8pm. Payments are much faster than resi's and you don't have annoying customers asking weird questions all the time. And as long as its short nobody cares really. Anybody else with me on this one?

Oh here are some pics I took. I'll get more later.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I assume this is your first cut at a new client? Wonder why it's so tall, you say it was cut just a week ago? Do you know the other person that was cutting it? The weeds in the grass couldn't have grow that tall in a week.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

did you actually get it all cut without breaking something? I see a pipe or something laying in the tall weeds. I hope your making out good on the job.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya. I love commercials. Mine aren't the best payers, but there not too bad. Like you said you can usually do them after hours and unless its an HOA they aren't too picky.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

as for commercials being quick payers? not from our experience, no way.
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Commercials are alright, and a great enlightenment to you now as you enter that market. You'll soon make the transition to comercial only drop all your resi clients and be on top of the world. Your next move will be municipal, once you get shafted for bigtime commercial money, and wonder why you didnt do it sooner. Its sometimes referred to as progression-learning to walk before you run, or something like that.

We started with resi, went to commercial, then to government, and now primarily municipal/institutional. We still do some commercial/industrial but focus more on the public sector work. Once bitten, twice shy. It may be all rosy now, but you'll know what I'm referrinig to once it happens to you.
  7. FordLawnLandscape

FordLawnLandscape LawnSite Member

Commercials quick payers ??:laugh::dizzy::confused::laugh::dizzy::confused:
  8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I always get paid. You just have to keep on top of them. I usually send out 5 bills a month till I get paid, It works all the time.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm with Johnny....

You get into the institutional / government work, and as long as it looks mowed and trimmed, you're good to go. There's NO ONE looking at your work all evening after they come home from a job that they hate, looking at something to complain about.

All my commercial pays within 45 days. The ones that are paying 35-45 days are also paying $10 / hour more than the ones that pay within 7 days, built in late fee, for anyone that's over 25 days.

I won't do residential anymore. Period, no way, no how..... unless they pay $100 / hour, $250 per month minimum.
  10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

ya i have to agree about the payments! as far as when to cut, thats what i like also, can do anytime from early morning to late evening!