I love irrigation detective work...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Nov 15, 2005.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Had a work order today for "leaking valve boxes" outside a high school baseball field. Take a look at the picture and see what you'd determine just might have been the cause of water accumulating in the valve boxes. LOL :dizzy:

[BTW... No the sprinkler is not out of adjustment. Unknown person(s) have "readjusted three of them along this fence line.] :D

Sierra Vista BB Field Valve Boxes WP-02.jpg

2. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Ah yes...the "old chainlink diffuser" trick. <chuckle>

3. PurpHaze

LOL... Reminds me of what I told a plumber back in the early 90s (and he was convinced). His department had a new fence put up at a site about 5' off a sidewalk running along the edge of a play field. There were Toro 640s along this sidewalk and our director was a little ticked that the fence wasn't put right up against the sidewalk due to the irrigation and the leaving of a turf strip that would entail extra maintenance by our grounds guys. The plumber smugly stated that we'd just have to move the field sprinklers inside the fence and install a new zone for the small area. I told him it wouldn't be necessary because the sprinklers were "CL 2000s" and were specifically designed to avoid the chain links (CL) of the fence and water adequately. He was quite impressed until I took it a little further... that there was a mico-midget inside each sprinkler with a laser finding device to control the stream in order to avoid the links. That area is still set up the say way to this day. :cool2:

4. telcomac

telcomac LawnSite Member

Came across this doing a blow-out!:dizzy:

PB110002.JPG

PB110003.JPG

PB110004.JPG

5. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

that's awesome

6. I wish I would have taken the picture of the 12 valves deep inside a basement window well.....with the mainline coming through the window....that was funny....maybe this spring I will.

7. PurpHaze

Holy cow!!! At first I thought it was an old bomb shelter until I opened the last picture. At least it has plenty of room to work in. :D

Maybe someone should market that "gigante valve box" for the rest of us to use. :p

8. PurpHaze

Did they cut a hole through the window glass? :blob3:

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

Can you imagine how many valves Boots would put in here?

This past summer we installed doublecbecks for an entire neighborhood's (168 houses) domestic water source (Private water co). Every two houses had a box like that, but about half the size, inside it, about 3' down, were two gate valves going to each house.

You know, as I look at that picture more, I bet anything there used to be a well pump in there, and they switched to a submerged pump in the casing, making that box obsolete.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I heard that! How about this for a manifold?

coppermanifold.jpg