I love my competition

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DiscoveryLawn, Dec 7, 2005.

1. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I followed a Scotts van today to see what he was doing. I watched him go up to a customers door, ring the bell, go back to the truck, post a sign, hang a bag then drive away. I sure hope there was not an invoice in that bag. He posted a sign, so I am assuming he claimed he did an app. Shame Shame Shame.

That will be MY client next year! Thanks Scotts!! I love that company.

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Certainly not a brand new behavior for the cos slapping down 40 stops a day on their techs. The funny part about ghosting a lawn is that the tech probably thinks that because no one answered, no one saw him. Certainly everyone comes to the door whenever someone knocks or rings, right? lol..no one will ever be home across the street or next door, right? Then, when there are no results, what happens? Oh, that's right, a service call gets generated and you get to make yet another run out to that same house and this time, you gain no credit off your daily work numbers. Ghosting starts to happen when a tech has his foot out the door or is just plain stupid, follow him out tomorrow and get ALL his route, not just the one!

3. gvpa20

gvpa20 LawnSite Member

DO you think it was possible that he was doing a customer service visit ? Maybe even responding to a customer question on a previous service. :blush:

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I talked about it in another thread, and as long as the tech doesn't get caught, the service managers really don't care as long as production is up. When I worked at Scotts, there was a guy doing 2 g's a day, when most techs were 800-1000. Well, he swore up and down he did every prop., until a customer didn't answer the door and made a call. He ghosted it. He then had branch and service managers ride with him for a few weeks. He was out from 6am til 7pm every night to keep the production up. Those customers should be yours next year.

5. greg6775

greg6775 LawnSite Member
    from ky

And leave a flagin the yard? fool must be a grass cutter lol

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e watched a chemlawn guy here do just that here one day. Pulled up to a house, sat in the truck for a bit, fianlly goit out with his papers and a sign, went to the door, waited, hung the bag, stuck the sign in the lawn by the door, went back to truck and then drove away!

I was mowing a small lawn diagonally across the street at the time. I made a point to not look directly at him, but I watched this out of the corner of my eyes as I was mowing. The lawn was in bad shape, hadn't even been cut in 2 or 3 weeks, it always looks bad. I wanted to walk over there so bad and look at the invoice, but it's not my property. Even if it did say it was treated, I know it wasn't, but good luck proving it.

7. New Green

New Green LawnSite Member

I don't mean to be the devils advocate here and am sure with the reputation that those companies have the stories are probably true. I am sure that I have been accused of ghosting from my customers because of the reputation these frauds have. But this reminds me of getting accused by a customer 45 minutes away with a 7k lawn. It takes me longer to do the paperwork. I rang the bell "no answer" Proceeded and did the lawn on the Magnum and was done in no time. She called and told me there was "no way her lawn was done" completely. I told her to check the lawn for pellets. She was ready to quit, so I hiked back down that day and walked every square foot with her. Not to be the advocate of those @#*&*. But if you followed me and took your eye off me for 2 minutes I would have already been done. I have been questioned many times, but will go out of my way to prove otherwise.

8. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

Everyone here is right! When I worked for T/C and Scotts there were techs that performed the work and there were the Caspers. When I did 10k in one week, I did it with a rider and I was doing double apps with one product. But there were these guys doing the same alone!! We all knew they were ghosting because it was physically impossible to do the numbers they were doing day in and day out. This is a chronic problem for these companies ( along with many other inherent problems) so one can imagine the kind of life a branch manager has. I ran into my branch manager over this past summere. He looked like he aged twenty years. Glad I'm out of it and on my own!

9. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was assuming he claimed he did an app because he posted a lawn flag. I suppose he could have placed the flag so the customer knew he had been there and to look for a note on the door (if it was just a service call). I will give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. The reason I followed him in the first place is because I wanted to see what he was putting on the lawns. Our temps have been below freezing for two weeks. The soil is frozen on the surface and the soil temp at 2 inches is 33 degrees.

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I have read the signs that chemlawn was putting down and it was for what the Potential customer need done to there lawn. The lawn sign makes them go look whats on the sign. Its a way they advertise in this area.
    But i have seen some of theses company do nothing a get paid.
    John