1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I love my job!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone here feel the same way I do about the lawn care business?

I just love my job! I really like coming to a job and seeing that it obviously needs mowing. It doesn't look bad, cuz I don't let my properties get bad looking, but you know it needs a mow. Then you break out the toys, er I mean mowers. I love my mowers, it's like playtoys. I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE PAY ME TO DO THIS!!!

You take your time and make it look good. Mowing a different direction each time, trimming up real good, spot spraying for weeds and clipping the hedges here and there, raking out the grey mulch to keep it brown and fresh looking. I love it. Before I leave I get to look around and immediately see the results of my hard work. It's really satisfying.

I was tinkering on my mowers on Saturday, not because they needed anything, but just cleaning battery terminals, blowing then off, getting the grass clippings, sticks and even a golf ball :dizzy: out of the crack and crevases. I even put some Armor All on the tires and seats! What a nut, but I was just enjoying giving the things that take care of me some TLC.

Thank God I've finally found something that I really enjoy doing to get paid for. Like I said before, I cant believe people pay me to do this stuff. On some of my nicest properties I would do it for free, just to be there, and the pride that comes with the way these places look.

Sorry, I'll shut up now! :rolleyes:
  2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I completely agree. When somebody comes out with a mower that has AC this will be a perfect way to make a living. I gripe as much as most people when I have a bad day, but all in all, things are as good as I could ever hope for.

The money is good, people hardly ever give me a hard time, I work outside on nice days, and watch TV on yucky ones, and most of all... job security.
  3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I love my job, as well as my toys, too! I dont think i would go so far as to Armor All the seat and tires, though:D
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

I hear ya I love doing this and iI love the money i can' belive people actually pay us this kinda money, But it would be even better if you didnt have to deal with their BS.

Wesley's Lawn :rolleyes:
  6. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean. I always try to do a good job, but real satisfaction comes when a customer recognizes your efforts and praises your work. I really enjoy the challenge of running MY own business. The other day was about the best when on this large commercial job of mine, its been kinda a PITA all year, too many chiefs not enough...., well I finally got it figured out trying to make eveybody there happy, and my bid for next year (with an increase for the PITA factor) was accepted and they said they were really happy with the way things have worked out this year.:) Really made my day! This biz has its ups and downs but I really enjoy it. Marc
  7. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I like to turn around after I leave a job, and do a drive by, just to see how sweet the lawn looks! :D
  8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

You have to love this job to do it, and I do. I thought I was the only one who did drive by's. I mow a property in town, houses on either side are done by 2 different guys using homeowner stuff. They do them for $5 less than me, that's people for ya! Well, there we all were, 3 trailers lined up on the side of the street. You just know which one was striped don't you! It's my showcase lawn and it's on a corner. I've gotten some of my neighbors lawns because of it. They see me there and the job I do on it and my own lawn. I think I'm gonna change my handle to "Me and my Bob-Cat"!
  9. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

yes, i love it to, it does have its hard days and frusterating people, but it all pays off. occasionly i will do the seats and tires :)
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I do the same....lol I am the type that like to see instant results, but at the same time I am not too detailed oriented. I think I enjoy even more than doing the lawn work is the business side of the venture. Learning accounting, marketing and so on. I also enjoy giving estimates....talking with people and just convincing them what I tell them is what they need...and then to see it all come together and work.