1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I love springtime!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Feb 20, 2007.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Man, I just love the springtime.....

When it rains, it poors. And I ain't talking about water, Boys!
  2. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Then....what are you talking about.......:confused:
  3. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

uuhh yea no sleep and 2 feet of thick wet snow on the ground has me confused.
    Feel free to go on Jim...
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Money! I'm talking about dinero, guys!

I just love the springtime because you can land jobs almost before you give the bid. People are just anxious to throw jobs at you.

Here in Portland, most landscape maintenance and construction can be done every month of the year. But during the fall and especially the winter, because demand is so low and there is no sense of urgency, it's like pulling teeth trying to get a job from anyone. They sit on the bid forever...try to get you to lower your price....wait for lots of other competing bids before deciding...etc. But then spring comes and it's like all of a sudden people aren't so choosy. They want it done now, they accept your bid the moment you get done giving it, they are anxious to get started, hand you a deposit check, etc. They don't care to wait for competing bids, etc. It's great! It's like people just start throwing money at us saying, "Please! Come work for us! NOW!"

I just love it. It's always a refreshing change from the way things are in the winter. And it's been like this for a week or two now here. It's like Springtime has started and people are coming out of the woodwork wanting us to do jobs again! It's just awesome. I get pumped up this time of year.
  5. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

I'll take a whack at what he's saying.

In the Pac NW, spring means rain but it also means business. People start looking outside and the phone starts ringing.

The bad thing is that is also when the bass start biting. So I love the money but I also love the fishing. Nothing like a smallmouth hanging on the end of my Texas rig. But I love one day cleanups for $800 too.

I don't know if Jim likes fishing though. That's just my addiction.
  6. Willofalltrades

Haha got ya... Send some of those "get it done now" customers to Ohio!
  7. marckxman

Looks like he answered before I could get my answer in.

I thought I knew what he was saying though.
  8. Willofalltrades

Is it me or is this guy that inspired Brad Paisley to write "I'm gonna miss her"? (if you don't get it then google the song)
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oh man...it just occured to me that you are right where my uncle is. He lives right in Portland (down in the valley). I just talked to him the other day, and he had been working in his flower garden. He already has flowers coming up. If you want to meet a cool (and FUNNY) and interesting guy (ret. USAF), then let me know. This guy is awesome.
    I can't beLIEVE the money they pay for their lawn to be done. When he told me the price, I asked. "Wow, you must be setting on a pretty decent sized lot...What, about an acre?"
    He said. "What, are you kidding me? we have postage stamp...about a 1/4 acre lot - total!"
  10. marckxman

Who cares about his flower garden, does he bass fish?