I love the prices on ebay.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by nobagger, Oct 15, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I love how almost every mower on ebay is used. But I'm so sick of seeing "this mower new is worth over $5000.00 just years ago". Well who cares what it was worth 5 frikin years ago its a used beat to crap POS! No I didn't loose a mower by not bidding enough but I see some of the mowers in the equipment market place are the same thing as on ebay. To whoever was selling the Exmark 52" Turf Tracer, for a price that the reserve was over 2k I just want to say you must be a hell of a salesman because it was at least a 5 year old mower and it had I think 1200 hours on it. Give me a break. Thanks for reading my vent.

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I do not waste my money listing anything on ebay because everyone else is like me, cheap and looking for a low price. Try running a vehicle on there, you wont even get half the trade in value. With that being said I listed my exmark lazer z on market place and Im not even going to say what I was offered. Lets put it this way, it was less than a used walkbehind and mine was almost new with less than 30 hours!

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Timing------- you don't sell mowers in the fall and you dont sell snow equipment in the spring
    But those are the times you buy

4. Mbsausage

Mbsausage LawnSite Member

nobagger! i think i saw that exmark the other day. the only deal i found on ebay which i won was a trailer. big tex 16ft loaded delivered 1500.00 oh and it was new. dude needed money had little to no miles on it

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I was looking at that same exmark the other day i believe... lol! That and a number of Scag walk behinds. It irks me that the ppl selling them repaint the machines and completely degrease everything and then either armorall the whole mower or take the pics when it's wet so it always looks so "shiney and new" Then the discription always reads "Engine perfect, starts one pull and no smoke, no oil leaks at all, hydros are perfect, track perfect, no leaks of any kind" IF it's sooooooooooo perfect, why the f are you selling it for $1,600????? It's a $4,000 machine, If it's soooo perfect, wouldn't it really be worth more than that? I think for the 1400 to 1800 I saw some of them going for, all "but it now" 48" to 72" hydro walks, they all looked almost new, but i'm going to bet they are a lot rougher in person. Not to mention I'd bet money that after an hours use the leaks would spring up!

I always am HONEST when I list stuff for sale on ebay, likely this is why I don't always SELL the items... I actually list any problems, what's been fixed, or what may need to be fixed...

I see one guy on there that is always selling a few ztr's and walkers. In his description he says "failed business opportunity, must get out of the business" or something to that effect. Its a crock of BS, you can look at his selling history and SEE that he buys, fixes up (cleans and slaps some paint on), and then sells to suckers on ebay telling how he's been the owner and user of said equipment.

One thing I do notice on ebay... There are more mowers selling from the state of PA than all others combined! What's the deal? Is the green industry that huge there??? My Exmark I bought 2 years ago came from PA. Weird...

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I don't deal with ebay but I do buy and sell all the time. I always list anything that I know is wrong and explain it when people call. I don't need to waste my time trying to explain why something looks different when they see it first hand. I don't have the time to sit there and "sell" it either they want it or they don't. I have about 30 to 40 pieces of equipment for sale most of the time. olderthandirt has it right, Buy lawn equipment now and sell snow stuff now. Buy snow equipment in the spring and sell cutting equipment then. I just sold a Walker snow blower for $600.00 I bought it for $10.00 at a repo sale, no one knew what it was for (except me). I love this time of year.

7. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a redmax blower off it this spring, en eb8000 for $411 shipped. The guy bought one and then bought a mower and the dealer gave him a free blower in the deal. Its been great. No problems with it. It was brand new.

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I agree with older. But all I keep seeing are over-priced equipment. Now some of the equipment is I guess worth it, but if I were a seller I guess I would be putting my items on there wanting to actually sell it not try to recoup all but $100.00 of the list price. To me its not worth paying $3750.00 for a used w/b with 100's of hours on it when I can buy one new for $500.00 more for a brand new one. WTF!