I LOVE this name that bid game!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sunstate Lawn, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

Ok, Lets try something small scale.

One flowerbed.

Need old bed demo'd (old medium size plants pulled and disposed, lawn cut out approx 4" where it has grown in etc...)

8 azaleas for back row

8 smaller perenials for front row (must flower) in the $10.00 per range

2 course cracked block retaining wall (approx 40-50 pieces)

new weedguard

new mulch

mix manure into dirt

Ok! I hope I didn't forget anything! Good Luck!:clapping:
  2. harddog00

harddog00 LawnSite Member

Okay, since i am a newbie and not yet familiar with the cost of some of the materials i'm gonna through out my best guess.
    *Labor $30.00hr x 4hr.= $120.00
    *8 perenials x $10.00 = $ 80.00
    *8 azaleas x $10.00 = $ 80.00
    *weed guard x 1 = $ 30.00 guessing
    *mulch x 8 bags = $ 24.00 @ $3.00 a bag... guessing again
    *manure x 1/2 truck ld. $ 30.00 no idea
    *40 blocks @ $1.80 piece $ 72.00 give or take
    Grand Total.......................$ 436.00
    Sounds a bit high to me, but thats my professional amateur guess
  3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

4 hrs, you kidding me?, I Must be getting Old..... That is a full day of work for 1 guy if he busts his 6, Plants and material's should be marked up 15% OR what ever percentile that covers you expenses getting it to the site. Don't use the weed barrier it is worthless. My bill is 704.00 and does not include the weed fab, disposal fee or peet and fert or delivery charge if any
  4. lawn&orderinc

lawn&orderinc LawnSite Member

i charge 60.00 per hour per person labor,double my cost of each plant and bag/yard of mulch to deliver and install. your only making 120.00 on that job
  5. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Come on, just go price your material and know your cost of doing business. Figure out how much you want your BUSINESS to make and not just how much you want to make in your labor. Your labor cost should be included in your cost of doing business. I guess it is fine to get other opinions, but you should know more than anyone what you should charge regardless of whether you have been in business for 1 day or 30 years. You should have some idea going into a business or you are doomed. Good Luck!!
  6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Seriously, just a guess and depending where you need to park and where they need to be stacked it could take an full hour just to get the 40 block out of the truck. That doesen't include the 2hrs you spent getting all the matrial that morning and driving to the job. Be careful doing estimates because BAM, it's 3 hrs in and you haven't even started the bed yet.
  7. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

$700.00 seems fair for all involved. 10 hours work.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would simply call the customer and let them know:

I am sorry (sir / ma'am), but you can't fit 8 azaleas in that small a space, once they grow a little the lack of space between the plants will cause problems beyond mere competition because azaleas need to be planted a good 3-4 feet apart from each other.
    But at the very least 2 feet apart, I really recommend 3 but 4 is best for certainty, these plants will spread as they grow and distance is important now I can probably fit 4 in there some kind of reasonably, but would think 2 and most likely 3 would look right and I'm pretty sure anything more is asking for trouble.
    Would you mind, after you reconsider, get back to me on this?
    Thanks, and have a nice day.

That's the other thing I wanted to mention, I don't particularly care for you coming around here acting like this is a game for our entertainment when in reality you need our help.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's the other thing I wanted to mention, I don't particularly care for someone coming around here acting like this is a game for our entertainment when in reality it appears you need our help. I'm not mad and it's no big deal, but this type of approach doesn't work real good because of the deceptive aspect.

No shame in it, nobody ever came into this field knew everything, thou a few might have thought they did heh.

Granted you're as likely to get a funny answer mess you up either way yes, but at least if you're upfront then it goes back on whoever does that to you, compare this to a deceptive approach you just open yourself wide as there's less repercussion for a do you wrong type of person. Of course if you are a wrong-do'er then now that you know there is less repercussion this cancels that out so it don't work no more lol.

Funny how that works, this goes around comes around stuff.
    So be upfront, if you need something just ask.
  10. harddog00

harddog00 LawnSite Member

Yea, after sleeping on it, i definetly underbid badly. Did not take alot of things into consideration, one thing i esp. thought about after the fact is what eshskis said bout' unloading the materials.....i should haae stuck with my origional price, i think it was about 640