I love trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Grass Happens, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you offer tree services? I was thinking of buying a bucket truck to do trees, but there so durn expensive, even with using it for holiday lights. Not to mention you can't always use a bucket, and I'm too fat (and scared) to climb. And i don't like calling in a tree company, because all the "decent" ones (by that i mean knowledgeable, and *gasp* insured) also do landscaping and the what not. Should i hire a climber? but if s/he ever quits, i hope i don't have any tree jobs coming up, and if they are half-way intelligent, they will realize that they have me over a barrel. Hmm, so what do you all do?

2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I offer some tree service as an arborist, but don't climb. But my work is extensive in the volume of small and medium stuff I do.

Want something less than a buck truck?

Get a Nifty Lift

http://www.niftylift.com/trailer/90.htm

Check out the small one. Reaches 30' high and says right there that it can pass through a single door. So my guess is that a couple of men can probably roll it through a gate, let alone towing it.

You could even hang lights inside buildings :)

3. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

hmmm something to think about! Do you have one? do you know how much they run? so you are an arborist w/o climbing. do you just pass on the bigger jobs or what? I seriously love trees, and cringe when i see Mt. Saint mulchins and the omnipresent chain wrapped around a 1.5 cal tree and four stakes. I'm saving me pennies for a telescoping gas pole saw, but i have yet to talk to my insurance agent on that. I'm sure they don't offer just "light-duty" tree care coverage, and it would take ALOT of tree pruning to tree insurance.
    Thanks for the info!
    P.S. whats your fav. tree?

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

My work goes from groundcovers to trees about twice the height or size of the one in this photo page...

http://www.mdvaden.com/mt_fuji.shtml

And I refer big trees - at least in Portland - via a link on my home page. And to a company or few, in Medford, whose phone I give out.

No... I don't have a nifty lift. I think its near $20K

The axle telescopes if I read right. Read about other arborists using their other lifts.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you are big in the business, the investment and insurance is not cost effective. Use what you can rent for jobs that stay in the realm of landscaping and make a friend in the tree business for ones that no sane man would touch :) Just the way I do it and the kid that I reccomend to my clients is a phenomenonal worker. Best I've ever seen so I could not compete with him anyway.